Help--I need a new newsreader

Page 1 of 4
I've been using Google Groups, but it has no filters.
I'm tired of sorting out the legitimate posts from the spam.
Can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) news reader that will work with Windows Vista?
I'm not really a bit-head, so installation needs to be close to point and click.
Thanks, and will be seeing you...
Old Guy
In article <7ae265af-e63d-43a0-8a31-6e447b8971ee@

I don't know if it works with Vista, but MicroPlanet Gravity has been very good to me. Two drawbacks: I can't figure out how to change the color on threads I've responsed to, and the right click doesn't work for copying, pasting, &c.
S.
Old Guy wrote:

Windows Mail works fine (don't let the name fool you, it handles USENET just fine) and it's included with Vista. There's a freeware add-in called "OE-Quotefix" http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ that addresses most of the complaints (other than that "It's EEEVIILLLL") that people have with it.
--John
I have been using Forte Agent for years. I would not say it is neccessarily easy but once you get the basic setup it works pretty well. I have posts saved for a long time that I think I might refer to again.

I agree. Although I usually use Outlook for general email, like you I use Agent 4.2 for all my uploading and downloading. It has a number of improved features over the V1.9 that I was using previously.
I'm very happy with Agent as well, but I'm not sure "Free Agent" is still available.
-Zz

Years ago I would have said use Forte Free Agent, but it has been discontinued. Probably your best bet is to use Thunderbird for both usenet and mail.
Ironically, one of the first things you might want to do when you leave Google Groups is filter out all posts from @google.com. That's where 90% of the usenet spam is coming from these days.
Colin
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:58:03 GMT, "Colin B."

I'm using it as I type. Do you mean that the free version is not available for new suscribers?
It does not, however, have filters in the free version.
Probably your best bet is to use Thunderbird for both

Frank Boettcher wrote:

There is no free version. It was discontinued years ago. The "Free Agent" that you can find occasionally is abandonware. The only product Forte has now is "Agent", which you can use for free as annoyware--the disabled features aren't hidden and every time you inadvertently click on one it comes up with an ad for the for-pay product.

--John
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:38:32 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Hmm, I guess what throws me off is when it comes up it clearly says "free agent" at the top of the page. I didn't know there was a predecessor. Was it full featured for free?
What you say about the disabled features not being hidden is accurate. However, I've used it for a long time without them, but may consider a change.
Frank

Old Guy wrote:

Thunderbird is free.

If you can use Filters or Junk controls or some other method in Thunderbird to get rid of all the spam showing up in the Wreck, I'd surely like to know how. It looks like you can create filters from existing messages, but I don't see how to get them to clean out the headers that have already been downloaded.
From an Agent user, used to using wildcards when sending to the killfile...

Yeah for the 3rd or 4th time I have down loaded and installed Thunderbird and an hour later uninstalled it because the Use filter is greyed out. Creating the filter was easy enough. Using help was a night mare.

Just curious whets the matter with Outlook ? Its already on your computer, It's free. It's easy and it has filters. Puff

Puff Griffis wrote:

Not Outlook, Outlook _Express_--different products, with no real relation between them except that both are from Microsoft, both do email, and both have "Outlook" in the name. You have to buy Outlook and it doesn't have NNTP support without a third-party add-in. On Vista, Outlook Express is no longer called that but is now "Windows Mail".
Some people give the impression that they would rather die than use Outlook Express and Internet Explorer--I don't understand the mindset that gets that distraught about such things, but some people do.

--John

That would be me. :-)
For years, Outlook (and Outlook Express) didn't follow the various mail RFCs. In other words, they were clients for Windows mail, not Windows clients for email. Microsoft used them to try to usurp the platform-neutral nature of email. Also, they had such lovely "features" as auto-open attachments. Before Outlook came along, there were hoax emails that went around claiming, "DO NOT OPEN AN EMAIL MESSAGE WITH THE SUBJECT (whatever)!!! IT WILL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER!!!" Those of us in computing laughed and grimmaced turnabout at the stupidity of such messages--that is, until Microsoft made such behaviour possible and even quite likely. Then add the amazing number of years its taken them to make a product that STILL isn't stable, and the fact that spam proliferation is predominantly based on Outlook/OE holes, and I have enough justification to remove it from any PC I own. (And that doesn't even bring up the issue of default HTML email--or just how badly MS generates HTML.)
As for IE, similar concerns: They've aggressively added non-standard extensions to HTML, such that websites designed for IE don't work in a standards-compliant browser. Web pages that are designed for IE, aren't really web pages--they're Windows application documents, and have no business being published on port 80, which is reserved for the web.
Oh yeah, then there's the fact that IE is tied directly into the kernel, which makes it easier to either trash or take over the user's computer.
Between IE and OE, I blame Microsoft for making spam and virus-writing profitable. Given that roughly 90% OF ALL EMAIL TRAFFIC is now spam, and that the spam is predominantly generated by the Russian mafia, I'd say that Microsoft has some 'splainin' to do.
As for why I get distraught about it, well it's my job. I'm a Unix admin. :-)
Colin
That's all a perfectly good justification for an anti-MS religion/philosophy.
My desktop will be Windows-based for the foreseeable future for practical, not philisophical reasons.
OE is still pretty decent newsreader.
-Steve

Yes, yes it is. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Understood. My wife is an AutoCAD instructor, and AutoCAD doesn't run on anything else. I'm fully in favour of practicality winning over philosophy in most situations.

Well...no. It's not. All philosophical rants aside, it's just not a good newsreader or mail client. It's slow, buggy, unstable, badly organised, and encourages bad posting behaviour.
But that's all I'll say on the issue here. Suffice to say, I recommend Thunderbird as a usenet client to anyone. (Even though I'm a profound luddite, and use tin :-)
Colin

Bullshit. After using OE for many years, listening to others recommendations I tried other newsreaders. I'm back to using OE and I'm sticking with it. Does everything I want it to do and at no cost. I like it so much I may just send Bill Gates a $20 bill as a thank you.

As usual, I agree with you EP. But I think I'll stop short of the $20 part.
Just think, if Bill Gates had a nickel for every PC that ever crashed.....Oh wait, he does!!!