Help, I don't understand!!!!

Hi Woodworkers, I have a little problem, I find it difficult to understand English USA you see I live in England. Would anybody have a Dictionary to translate English USA to English UK.

Jo

The impossible I can achieve miracles take a little longer

Reply to
josoap

Just read your dictionary upside down or backwards

Reply to
George G

I get that funny feeling that this will be followed up by another pitch for "free.uk.woodworking", which in my reader then shows up as "f.u.woodworking" which I have to admit I find pretty amusing.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Try this one.

on "American" at the top to go from Yank to Brit.

Art

Jo

The impossible I can achieve miracles take a little longer

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I thank you for that, now I can cope with this news group, Cheers Wood Butcher.

Reply to
josoap

I think there is one.. they call it some funny sounding name, like the Declaration of Independence, I think..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"josoap" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

My jointer is your planer. My planer is your thicknesser. My toilet is your 'loo / WC. My flashlight is your torch. Elevator -> Lift. Customize -> Bespoke. Wrench -> Spanner. Hood -> Bonnet. Truck -> Lorry.

ad naseum. Just post specifics and we'll translate for you.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Trunk -> Boot Crescent Wrench -> Shifting Spanner

... and then there's Cockney slang, which could take up a whole thread for months.

Reply to
Swingman

American - a LOOM a num

English - AL you MIN E yum

Dave

josoap wrote:

Reply to
David

A pasty's made from pastry. A pastie is normally tasseled.

Plural is the same.

Aroma differs.

Reply to
George

understand

Dictionary to

Jo - The English and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language.

Reply to
secondar

understand

Dictionary to

Jo - The English and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language.

Reply to
secondar

"Plural is the same."

Ah that brings up a major difference between Americans and our British cousins. The Brits don't seem to get subject-verb agreement. I cringe every time I hear a BBC reporter tell me that "Manchester United are at Arsenal for a friendly this Saturday." A collective noun is still singular.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

OTOH, the name of the language *is* "English". On that basis, I think one could make the argument that the British usage is _by_definition_ the correct one.

Doug Miller

Or I could make the argument that the British usage is merely old-fashioned. :)

Dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
David

"Living language" versus "strict constructionist?"

Reply to
George

Reply to
nospambob

So the U.S. sportscasters should be saying "The 'Philadelphia Eagles' _is_ at Miami Sunday " ?

Or "'The Doors' *is* at Madison Square Garden Wednesday"?

Yes, collective nouns are singular. None of "Manchester United", "Arsenal", "Philadelphia Eagles", or "The Doors" are collective nouns, however. They are proper names.

Singularity/plurality of proper names, especially names of _groups_, is a

*tricky* subject.

The name can refer to the group, as a single entity,

*OR* it can refer to the individuals that make up the group, _collectively_.

The former is singular, the latter is plural. REGARDLESS of the 'apparent' single-ness or plural-ness of the name itself.

e.g.: "The Beatles is a British musical group." "The Beatles are British musicians."

"The Chicago Fire is a soccer team." "The Chicago Fire are leading New York by 2."

BOTH are grammatically correct.

"Manchester United are at Arsenal..."

is no more wrong than

"The Chicago Fire are at Detroit for the first-round play-offs on Thursday." or "The Browns are at Mile High Stadium for their pre-season game, on Monday."

It 'sounds funny' to _your_ ear, because "Manchester United" is not an obvious plural form. But, neither is "Red Sox", and you wouldn't say "The Red Sox _is_ leading 5-2 in the bottom of the seventh", would you?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, last year we might have. This year, they ain't doing quite as well...

Doug Miller

By that definition we should speak Old English.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon