HELP: Gluing corners of a radiator cover?

Hello,

I'm new to working with wood, so I figured I'd start with a basic project.

I found plans for a radiator cover on the Internet at

corners of the radiator cover (essentially a box) are glued, and then reinforced with wood screws. I had a teacher from high school shop class always discouraged us from using fasteners if we could avoid it. Is wood glue strong enough to hold the corners of the box together without cutting some kind of a joint? If not, could I use L-fasteners on the inside to hold it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

--Virgil

Reply to
Virgil Kent

Use screws. Radiator covers continually go from hot to cool and back. One of the joints is edge to end grain, which probably wouldn't hold at all without screws under these conditions. "L" brackets probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

I would probably use pocket holes, like this:

The most you'd need is this:

While $60 is a lot for one project, pocket holes are very handy in finish carpentry. Even if you're only making a few radiator covers, you'd probably get your money's worth.

Metal fasteners are sometimes discouraged in fine furniture. Using them in finish carpentry is usually a good idea.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Mon, Jan 17, 2005, 12:38pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Virgil=A0Kent) asks: Any suggestions?

Glue blocks.

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

I'd use screws. Drill a 3/8" hold about 3/8" deep, set the screw and then plug the hole.

Sometimes you need a mechanical fastener. Or a more complex joint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Phisherman

Why?

This is trim, not fine furniture.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The downside is that you need to hide the ugly fasteners with plugs, then the plugs may fall out in time (round plugs do not stay round). Sometimes metal fasteners rust and discolor wood, although you can use stainless steel screws. I can understand using fasteners for a beginner woodworker with few tools, but you gain little in developing skills in traditional joinery. Other joints to consider include the miter joint (with glue block for added strength)--compound, biscuited, splined, keyed, rabbeted, and locked to name a few.

Reply to
Phisherman

I can agree with that.

Usually I prefer brads or pocket holes in unseen areas on trim, which don't require plugging.

I know how to do the other stuff, but I'm always interested in other views. Radiator covers are pretty extreme duty for wood, and you never know when somebody's got a better idea.

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks for all the great advice!