Help: Fixing Plywood Coffee Table

My plywood coffee table the other day. I put too much stuff on the top of the bottom panel which was held by 4 screws to the side panels. Because it's too heavy, the screws went through the bottom of the holes, not only cracked the plywood but also broke it so holes can no longer hold the screws. What's the best way to fix it besides throw it away? Will wood filler work in this case?

Reply to
Christine

Besides replacing the whole panel, can I use the wood filler to fill up the holes and cracks and rescrew the holes? Will it hold?

Reply to
Christine

Unlikely that wood filler will be strong enough. There is epoxy filler which would be string enough, but it is not that easy to work with. Why not just fill the old holes and put the screws in a different (unbroken) part of the table?

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Affix blocks beneath the plywood shelf, fasten as appropriate, and paint them black or stain them. Lay and fasten the shelf upon the blocks. Black paint or marker will hide so much stuff, even scratches in brown stuff, it's unbelieveable. Try it.

Reply to
RM MS