Help finishing pine

I need some help.I have just built a table out of pine.I wanted a nice deep black stain on it to match my stereo stand.I Tried a Gel satin black stain and i cant get a deep rich black,Its more of a smoked look.I know that pine does not do a stain justice so i tried prestaing with a stain stabalizer,same thing.Then i tried peices of oak fir birch,ever scrap of wood in my shop and got the same affect.Should i have used a darker wood like mahogany or something.Please can some one help.I had planned on other projects with black stain but now this is getting me to rethink the color.BTW i tried to thin the gel and still no difference.
darrell darcy wrote:

Give "India Ink" a try on some scrap and see what you think.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Thanks a bunch nova,I gave it a try with ink cartridge ink anf got exactly what i was looking for.It looks great.Now can i put an oil based rub on poly on that?Again thanks so much.
Nova wrote:

darrell darcy wrote:

With ink from an ink cartridge I don't know how it would handle any film finish. The ink in a printer cartridge is water soluble. I think actual "India Ink" would be better (and cheaper). It can be topcoated. You should be able to find it at any store that sells drafting supplies, such as Office Max.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Great thanks a bunch
Nova wrote:

Bear in mind that for any finish job all woods have there own natural color pigments in them So when you apply a stain that particular stain color and the wood color mix together and walla we have now a third color.
In order to do what you are looking for you may have to use a black aniline dye, then on top of that a black stain. Of course you had to pick pine one of the most difficult woods to stain evenly
I did Black Black on Mahogany the way you are describing, My client liked it I felt I destroyed the wood.
Good Luck, George