Help finding shaper rub collar 1/4" height

Page 2 of 2

I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision bearings that were the correct size for a spindle. I think they were 3/16 high (thick). I turned a rub collar for the correct outer diameter and then bored the inside to fit the bearing. As I remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did the job. max

max wrote:

If you can find one for Doug that thickness that has a 3/4" bore, I'm sure he (and several others including me) would be glad to know where that beastie could be found...
Duane Bozarth (in snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net) said:
| max wrote: || || I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision || bearings that were the correct size for a spindle. I think they || were 3/16 high (thick). I turned a rub collar for the correct || outer diameter and then bored the inside to fit the bearing. As I || remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did the job. | ... | | If you can find one for Doug that thickness that has a 3/4" bore, | I'm sure he (and several others including me) would be glad to know | where that beastie could be found...
I DAGS and found http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id%23&n 39_TH9/C4 (mind the wrap).
HTH -- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Thanks, Morris -- I'll contact the company tomorrow and see if it's suitable for use in a shaper (10K rpm and lotsa dust and shavings). If so, looks like it might be just what I need.
Mmmm... just thought of one more thing I'd better check on: the OD of my spindle. It's nominally 3/4". Unless it's actually a few thou undersize, or the bearing ID is a few thou oversize, this might turn out to be a press fit. Not exactly desirable from my POV. :-)
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I don't think so because it's totally unshielded--designed to run in an oil or grease bath.

I've not measured the spindles either, but I <think> they do make them slightly undersized and cutters, etc., about nominal--but you're right to measure for sure. Might just want to mic the bore of your cutters/other spacers, too, just to see what the play actually is. Ashamed to say it, but after nearly 30 years, I don't know that number. :(
Morris Dovey wrote:

But notice it's an open bearing which was what I mentioned earlier--by the time you cut the it down enough to get a 1/4" thickness including the dust seals, there isn't much room left for ball diameter. I don't think this would last long for the application of a shaper collar as there's no way to provide lubrication nor protect it from dust/dirt...
The Davenport's wrote:

That's all? Man, you work cheap! :)

Not this time. I want to replace a 1/4" spacer in a cope-and-stile cutter set with a ball-bearing rub collar. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, though.
--
Regards,