Help Decide- Veritas/LN

Looking at buying a low angle block plane. Have been looking at the Veritas Low-Angle that has an adjustable mouth and the Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2 LOW ANGLE ADJUSTABLE MOUTH plane. Is their much difference between the two and/or which would you choose and why?
Also, is the adjustable mouth feature worthwhile?
Thanks KS
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Amen to Ed's answer. I have both of them in the standard angle version, and they are both very useful, well made tools. Good heft, nice feel, something that pretty much encourages the best craftsmanship.
The adjustable mouth feature is very useful, and is the reason I have so many block planes. Working on small boxes, in a variety of woods, and having several planes set to do different tasks means I can maximize my limited woodworking time and output, and therefore, enjoyment.
And the more projects that get finished, the more supportive my wife is of new tool expenditures!
Buy either one, or both, and you'll not be sorry.
Patriarch
Oh, by the way, the new LV spokeshaves are also VERY cool!
I don't have either, but I think it was American Woodworker's annual tool issue that chose the Lie-Nielsen as the best of about 10 they looked at and the Veritas as the best value. Seems you can't go too wrong with either.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"KS" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message

I'm trying to decide on one myself. Unless you're looking for an apron type plane, an adjustable mouth is a worthwhile feature, adds to the versatility of the tool. Currently I'm using a Millers Falls #56 (basically a 60). What I like about it and the LN is the 1 3/8" blade vs. the 1 5/8" of the Veritas. It is a comfortable size in my hands, and probably why I grab for it more than any other block plane that I have. Conclusion? Try 'em both, if you can, and see how they feel in your hands, then decide from there.
HTH, Jeffo

They are very close. The adjustable mouth is nice to have, although not a necessity. Both block planes weigh in at 28 oz. The Veritas has a 1-5/8" wide blade. The Lie-Nielsen, a 1-3/8" blade. The bronze cap iron on the LN gives it a richer, more expensive look. If you have the money go for the LN. If on a budget, the Veritas is the one to get. I'm holding out (for more $) to get the LN.
I have both and prefer the LN. Adjustable mouth is great when taking super fine shavings.
The LN is always at handin my shop.
Cheers,
Andy

And the apron plane is always at hand in my shop. :-)

Lowell Holmes responds:

Yes.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

It's funny, but the apron plane is one Veritas plane that I haven't had much use for. I mean, it's a cute little devil and all, but I haven't found that it really fills any particular niche that my old #60-1/2 and #65 or Veritas low-angle don't already take care of.
FWIW, I have reached the point where the Veritas is my go-to low-angle block. It took it a while, but is has gradually supplanted my old Stanleys and is the first one I reach for. Once again, it's at least partially a matter of ergonomics. The higher profile makes the Veritas easier to grip and less tiring to use for extended periods of time.
Chuck Vance
My go to planes are a 604/Hock/Clifton (chip breaker) and the apron plane. I had to put a microbevel on the apron plane. I normally do not use a microbevel.
The plane 3rd in line is a LN 140.
I haven't had much use for it yet, but SWMBO gave me the Medium shoulder plane for Christmas. :-) I'm really impressed with it. I will be doing some m&t work soon and will put it to good use then.