HELP! Confusion of dust collectors

Page 3 of 3

I like the design Woodcraft has. http://tinyurl.com/6myq3
But the one I like best is the one I made. I'm going to post some pictures this weekend of that and other stuff. It requires 3/4" plywood for the top and a couple of PVC pipe fittings and some clamps. A router is almost a must to be able to make it.
Bob
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:34:08 GMT, "Bob"

bits... now, if they had a skilled operator.. *g*

Welcome to the world of lies, damned lies, statistics and dust collectors. I've been researching this for several weeks now. Damned frustrating.

Yeah - that's the one that everyone (who gets it) likes...

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. You don't need it all of it. But you'd use most of it. You *need* the hose for sure. The rest depends on what machines you're hooking up. I bought a slew of the cheapie plastic blast gates. They work, but they'll probably get replaced with better ones in my shop.

But less power - and most likely less CFM and static pressure ratings. It's very similar to the 1HP DC I have right now.
Sucking's all about CFMs and Static Pressure ratings (and a slew of other variables). Personally (and speaking as an owner of a 1HP machine with .3 micron bags) - you go for the DC with higher ratings.
Yeah - the 1 micron (or better) bags improve a couple of things. But (a) you can always buy those later and (b) they don't make your shop dustless or eliminate the need for a dust mask or eliminate the utility of an air filtration unit. (http://www.toolseeker.com/WdWkMac/Dust/50-860.asp?var1P-860 )
As for the cyclone - add it when you get around to it. It too will affect the entire system's "suckiness". Without it, you end up emptying the bottom bag more frequently, but big deal. The HF ain't one to brag about. I'm going to pop for the Lee Valley one, myself.
patrick conroy wrote:

Emptying the can is *a* benefit but not the main one: it serves to protect the impellor blades from every big chunk that the dust collector slurps up. They should fall in the can BEFORE they hit the DC. For the little bit of money you need to spend to get a garbage can and cyclone lid, it's cheap insurance.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

OK... But I take very light passes with the DW735...

Don't forget about the times you use the DC as a vacuum with a floor sweep or hose and you pick up a screw or chunk of wood. The impellor doesn't like that too much. Dust collectors don't have many moving parts, but I don't imagine that they are cheap to replace. A bent impellor is likely much more expensive than a pre-separator. As for buying better bags later, they are not on the cheap side either when you buy them as add-ons.
I am speaking more from my own purchase deciding factors rather than from experience. I haven't actually used my DC system yet. I am currently designing shop plans and ducting.
ET

I bought the $149.00 model from the local store. They didn't have the kit, but I ordered some parts from grizzly.com.

Grizzly has one for 4" hose, let me know if you find one for 5" hose. The dust collector comes with the Y already you just need a hose. Blast gates are only needed if you are trying to hook up multiple machines at one time.