Help compare these mid-range saws - longish and needy

Page 2 of 2
Mike, I don't know where you live, and maybe you've done this already, but General International has distributors all over N.America. I don't know why you lump them into the "mail order" group; I bought my 50-185L in a real brick-n-mortar shop.
Check the Distributors link at
http://www.general.ca/english/main.html
-Chris
Mike W. wrote:

"Mike W." wrote:

Well, personally, I'd recommend changing the criteria...I don't think either of those options is worth considering, but if held gun to my head I'd take the Ridgid over the Craftsman...
Duane Bozarth responds:

I've got the Ridgid TS3650. I've also got Sears new top of the line hybrid, which has a Biesemeyer fence. The Ridgid, and dozens of other saws, would be improved with a Biese (or clone: I started to install a Jet clone, but it was too much work, since the standard fence works pretty well anyway). The TS3650 is as good as any other contractor's saw in its price class, and better than most. As far as the Craftsman hybrid goes, it's much more saw than I expected, with much better detailing and, so far, a smooth and silky operation. It's also pretty darned quiet, thanks the poly multi V belt and machined pulleys, among other things. This one has an enclosed base, all the way down, so dust collection is pretty decent.
As someone commented, it's no General, or Powermatic or Unisaw or JTAS 10. But it is also $550 or so cheaper than the lowest cost of those saws.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
That's a pretty quick dismissal for no stated reason. Must be nice to just spend extra money for a name. Probably a lot less stress that way, and you're guaranteed to get a good saw without doing any homework.
Me? I have a practically unlimited budget for this hobby, but I'm a penny pincher. Therefore /everything/ is worth considering. After consideration, the field gets narrowed. Ridgid and Craftsman would be there for me -- but none of the Delta/Jet/Powermatics would be (too much $$, diminishing returns).
That is, of course, unless I could buy them used as the OP mentioned.
I've been making nice furniture for about 7 years now on a 1978 Craftsman contractor's saw I picked up for $100. No way my furniture would be 10 times better or 10 times as fun to build with a $1000 saw in my shop.
-Mike