Help Choosing Electric Sander

I want to buy a sander for various projects around the house, and maybe to sand down some oak table tops that the kids have damaged.

What is the difference between a DeWalt 1/4 sheet palm sander for about $50, and their random orbital palm sander, which appears to use round disks, and costs $20 more?

I have no problem spending another $20, I am just wondering if one is better suited to a particular use.

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

The 1/4 sheet is for light work. It vibrates the pad to sand. Since it is square, it gets into corners better than a round sander. You must also be sure to sand in the direction of the wood grain. Fairly easy to change paper and all you do is tear a sheet of the grit you want into four pieces.

The ROS rotates the grit in a random pattern so the scratches it makes are not in a pattern and thus, look smoother. It will cut about 50% faster. Grit changes are simply a matter of peeling off one, placing on the next. Since the pad is rotating you don' thave to worry about following the grain.

When my 1/4 sheet sander died, I replaced it with an ROS and never looked back. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

ROS it is, then. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

As long as we're on the topic. My 10 year old Makita 5" ROS is going on the fritz. I will have to replace it soon.

Although I have been pleased with the makita, I would consider other models. I like the palm-grip stype and I want to stay with hook & loop.

Is there a consensus on on " best of breed" for 5" H&L palm-style (not D-handle) ROS's

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
C & S

Doubtful. My kid swears by the PC I got him, whereas I still use my Bosch. Of course I have a couple of "D" handled Bosch sanders too, and they're great on larger surfaces .

With the skirt and a vac, they're as close to dustless as I get.

Reply to
George

I added a Boch ROS too complement the DeWalt. The Boch is a variable speed unit. What ever brand you buy I highly recommend the variable speed option for the versatility it gives.

Reply to
Mike G

Where does the variable speed come in handy i.e., under what circumstance is it helpful to slow a ROS down?

Reply to
jev

Reply to
nospambob

Larger grit ( 180 ) = higher speed. In between = in between :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

In non specific terms

On one end of the scale I can really hog off material when needed, in the middle I can do a credible job of sanding between coats of finish and pick a speed that works well with that particular finish, and, at the other end, I can use the machine in most of the rubbing out process.

Reply to
Mike G