help buying bandsaw

I am looking at the grizzly 14" on amazon, and it's 420 bucks shipped. It has mostly good remarks, but there aren't too many. I have a Delta planer that I like, and am entertaining the Delta bandsaw idea as well. I'm certain the Delta is more expensive, but is it worth it? I'd like to use the bandsaw mainly for resawing, and small cuts.
Any thoughts/opinions on Grizzley, Delta 14" bandsaws are appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd
Have you checked the price new for that model. Might be kinda high.

On 24 Aug 2004 08:25:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tderosa.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

The Delta 14" wins hands down. It beats everything in control, accuracy, and overall quality. The 14" Jet is my second choice, but the frame is not nearly as beefy as the Delta.
(todd the wood

I have used the Jet, underpowered machine. Delta 14" is a fine bandsaw but in my opinion over priced. Have not used or seen the 14" Grizzly. I do have the 16" Grizzly G1073 . Heavy duty bandsaw, 450 lbs or so. Resawing is limited to 7 3/4". Other than the height restriction for resawing this 2 hp 220 volt saw is the best I have used. I have used bandsaws for 40 + years.This saw delivered costs less than the 14" Delta.If you plan to put a saw of this weight on a mobile base, the shopfox mobile base works well. Tried a delta mobile base at first, only because i had an extra one. Not heavy duty enough for this saw.
mike
Phisherman wrote:

Isn't the 14" Jet a dead ringer clone (construction wise/in it's major castings) of the 14" Delta? As is also the 14" Powermatic? As is also any other import 14" that looks like a 14" Delta?
Or did I just imagine that all 14" cast iron C-frame band saws looked identical/just like a 14" Delta?
Unisaw A-100

yeah... with minor differences in how much casting sand is left in the paint and what kind of guides they put on 'em...
Well, after you've used the undertable micrometer guide adjustments you really can't use anything else. :-) I reason if Jet had the same feature they'd be just as expensive as the Delta. Also, you might want to look into getting a used 14" Rockwell/Delta BS. Got mine for $250 including the fence, miter gauge, mobile base and 1hp motor.
Layne
On 24 Aug 2004 08:25:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tderosa.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

Thank you for the postings. I found 2 different Delta bandsaws: 28-276: which is a 14" 3/4 hp motor with stand 28-206: which is a 14" 1 hp motor with enclosed stand
the first one retails around 399, the second around 599.
Is the second worth the 200 bucks for the 1/4 hp and enclosed (I assume heavier) stand?

I think so. The added hp is nice for re-sawing. The closed base usually is more sturdy and easier to clean around. Ed
wrote in message

is
Time for my $.25. Went from a POS Skil 10" three wheeler to the Grizzly G0555. The saw, riser kit, Shop Fox base and 2 extra 105" blades cost me $586.92. I made the trip to Williamsport store and picked it up, about 450 mi. round trip, plus some "drool time" in the store. Had to pay PA sales tax, but figured that + gasoline about offset shipping. Had a minor problem w/setup after putting on riser kit, which I described in other posts here.
Haven't really had that much time to play with it as yet, too busy with other things, but I'll give some of the reasons for getting the G0555: 2 speed, 1 HP, 12" resaw w/riser, all roller guides, and 4" dust port so I can hook directly to DC instead of having to use shop vac. The open base on this unit is very sturdy, and as far as cleaning around it, the mobile base makes that easy.
What little bit I've used the saw, I'm very pleased. At this point I would not hesitate to buy it again.
--
Nahmie
Hi Todd,
On 25 Aug 2004 07:02:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tderosa.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@tderosa.com (todd the wood junkie) writes:

Get the Iturra Bandsaw catalog. It's free. It's 200 pages filled with info on bandsaws. It has an article on selecting bandsaws. It reviews Jet vs. Delta. etc. etc.