Help building spice rack

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

I see, I wonder how long those spices, especially those from other countires, sit waiting to be exported. I hear what you are saying and cannot disagree with exposure problems.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Depends on the spice. Many are harvested but once a year. They have to last for a year so that makes it even more important to store them properly.
Add pictures here
βœ–
------------------------------------------- "Leon" wrote:
I see, I wonder how long those spices, especially those from other countires, sit waiting to be exported. I hear what you are saying and cannot disagree with exposure problems. ---------------------------------------------- "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Depends on the spice. Many are harvested but once a year. They have to last for a year so that makes it even more important to store them properly. -------------------------------------------------
SFWIW:
I try to buy spices in the unground form, particularly things like black pepper and nutmeg, then store them in a dark place.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
 Serious cooks keep spices where the sun don't shine
Add pictures here
βœ–

Easiest way around that is to never buy your spices ground...them whole and grind them yourself as you need them.
This won't work for all spices, of course...paprika, chili, garlic and onion powdes come to mind.
And Penzeys has a fast enough turn over that I would not be too concerned about the couple of days of sunlight your oregano may get.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–

With garlic and onion, there is a good compromise, Buy the dehydrated chopped stuff and make the powder from it when needed. A bit more involved, but I'd dried paprika peppers and chili too, but it is just easier to buy them ground.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'll use onion powder, but never garlic. I find it far too bitter, and fresh garlic is always available.
Add pictures here
βœ–

the
Over time, I've realized there's several things to consider with spice racks. If they're open to sunlight (bad) or even a lot of kitchen light (no as bad, but could be much better) then much of your spice will lose it's colour, potency and taste over the months it sits there.
Two options you might want to consider: Put your spice bottles in a rack that resides in drawer. Although the link given is a prebuilt plastic drawer insert, it illustrates what I'm talking about and you should be able to easily model a wooden one similar to the plastic model shown. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p@401&cat=3,43722,43743
The second option for a wall mount spice rack is to use spice jars that eliminate most or all of the light such as the metal spice jars shown in the link below, http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p154&cat=2,2120,33146 Alternatively, you can search out some glass spice jars that have UV filtering which is the light that hurts your spice potency. I confess to not being able to find a link to the UV type, but I have heard of them if you can find them.
Good luck with your spice adventures.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thank you for all the continued responses. Hadn't thought about "visiting" the local kitchen supply store. Not certain how they would feel if I bring my tools along for measuring.
Unfortuantely, the spice drawer idea, while very appealing, won't work in the kitchen we have. The kitchen needs a complete reno including ripping out a wall, right now it's about the 10'x10' and that's being generous. Barely can have two people in the kitchen at once because of where the doorways are and where the appliance plug-ins were located.. We've got a total of about 32" of usable countertop - unfortunately not in one continuous run -, and hence a total of 2 drawers which are used to hide the utensils from the kids. How we've avoided significant cooking injuries to date is a miracle.
Thanks again,
Alfred

Add pictures here
βœ–

Take a camera with you and if someone questions your measuring everything, just explain that you're seeing how/if it will fit neatly in your kitchen.
Add pictures here
βœ–