help! applying semi-gloss poly onto floor...

...seems to be problematic for me.

Previously, used satin and never had issues. Trying semi-gloss on brand new walnut floor and its been trying.

Resolved most of the issues (like where the friggin dust was coming from (scoured every surface - except the o.h. lights)) but am having a problem with lap marks.

Using a lamb's wool applicator pad and the stuff's drying too fast or something and lap marks are showing, particularly along the length (vs. side by side) since I can't do a single stroke over the 18' length. Using Varathane floor finish.

Suggestions?

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

The usual...keep a wet edge and blend. Possibly, add a *small* amount of thinner or retarder appropriate to the type of poly (oil vs water).

Reply to
dadiOH

When we do gym floors we use a tee bar applicator. It allows us to move much more quickly than a lambswool pad does. Wet edge is not as much of a problem. These floor are high gloss, so any lap marks stand out.

Roger

Reply to
Roger amd Missy Behnke

Thanx all. I think I finally got it. Goes to show, research first, then do the work. (Actually, I didn't think that semi gloss would be different from satin - silly me).

Anyway, the T-bar suggestion led me to

is kinda cool and shows exactly how easy it can be.

I tried a variation (the floor is as little as 5' wide and I didn't to spend the time nor $ tracking down a tee-bar so I made do with the lamb's wool pad. But, I did pour it instead of using a tray and ran the entire length (20') instead of breaking into 4x5 sections (ala the video).

THANX!

Renata

Reply to
Renata