help/advice with new DW-734

Wife & daughters felt sorry for me and gave me my Christmas present early. The Dewalt 734 planer. Woodcraft has them for $299. Anyway I never used one before and never seen one used except on tv. I got it figured out and started running some boards through it and wow what a mess. (don't have a dust collector) so I got the bright idea to hook up a metal dryer vent hose to it and run it into a trash can. A few boards later it the hose and machine got plugged up and chewed up a board. I would guess the hose plugging up caused it but if I leave it off the chips fly everywhere. Any idea's or advice other then buying a dust collection system? Maybe set a trash can in the chips path and bend a piece of cardboard to deflect the chips into the can. I do have the dust hood attached to the machine. Thanks,

Reply to
Mike S.

Mike,

You really do need a dust collector with that and even then it throws some chips back at you.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Not as good as a dust collector, but have you tried hooking a shop vac. up to the planer. I have the same planer and this works rather well.

Bill

Reply to
WORSS

Remove the dust hood, take the machine outside, and spew away. Tom >Subject: help/advice with new DW-734

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I have a Delta but same experience...you get a ton of chips with even the smallest cut. DC fills up too fast to deal with so I put a trash can in front of it to catch 80% then sweep up the rest. These are chips and not "dust" so find a "kiddy" snow shovel to save your back as you sweep it up.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

I have the 734 and have a rather large shop vac hooked up to it. Works great, but fills up fast. So make sure you empty it routinely and clean the filter. I have not had any problems in that scenario.

Reply to
C Carruth

I have a separator inline with my dc. When I use my dw 733ex it doesn't take long to fill the 50 gallon drum with nice shavings. I let my neighbors take all the shavings they want for their gardens and even better...find someone with rabbits...they make great underlay for catching the "rabbit poop!

Cheers

John

BTW..the DW733EX is the export model...uses 240 volts and 50 hz.

Reply to
John Gilham/Patsy Scott

Ditto on the shop Vac.

Any idea's or advice other then buying a dust collection

Reply to
Tony D.

Mount it to something and use it upside down. (???)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde