Hello Woodcraft...goodbye WW Warehouse

We have few tool stores in my area and when my local Woodworkers Wahehouse went belly-up recently, I felt a small pain in the pit of my stomach. I could always depend on them to be there. Bought my Delta jointer, Delta 14" bandsaw and countless clamps, chisels and othe WW tools there over the years. The guys there were very helpful. I remember one time when I bought a set of Marples chisels, the salesman "Bob" spent 25+ minutes explaining the scary sharp system and how I should grasp the chisel and move my body in synchronization with the tool over various grades of sandpaper. I really appreciated that. But I haven't bought a major tool there for a year or more...how many can you buy?
Enter Woodcraft...coincidentally (?) opening just as the former WW Warehouse closes. I'm not sure about this "corporate giant". I get their catalogs all the time, but they seem really expensive. I'm always looking for a bargain-but I won't stoop to Sears' Craftsman. Sears is OK for refrigerators, washers & dryers, but ceratainly not (say) a good table saw. OK, I admit I do have their radial arm saw - not bad but needs semi-annual adjustment.
Back to Woodcraft. Got a mail-flyer that advertized all Jet and Powermatic at 10% off last Saturday (Apr 17). Now their catalog prices the Jet 48x6x9 sander (JSG-96) at $299 plus shipping. No way they would sell that for $270 I thought. Got there at 10:30 AM and sure enough, drove away with my "bargain". There was one guy ahead of me buying the same exact tool which reinforced my good feelings about the purchase.
What a nice store - almost too nice for a woodworking store in that it was very "tony". My wife would almost tolerate walking through this place. Much larger than the old place. Exotic woods (maybe I'll start using something other than oak, poplar & walnut).
Capitalism is great...I'll be looking out for "Bob".
Lou
loutent wrote:

Lou...
Until it recently went belly up I had a Woodcraft Supply store a block from where I live; and still I preferred to order (whenever possible) from Lee Valley/Veritas (Woodcraft sells some Veritas products); but I preferred to order from Lee Valley 'cause I knew they'd take care of any problems I might have post haste and without hassles. In point of fact, I never had any problems with any of their stuff.
Where product lines overlapped, LV seemed to have lower normal prices. Woodcraft seemed to have better prices on many sale items. For brand name stuff, I still prefer to shop the web for bargains (bargain ::= unusually high value with unusually low price).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Hi Dennis,
That's one thing that I have learned over the years - support your local stores if any are available. The specialty stores are a treasure when compared to (say) HD, Lowes, etc.
I bought a PC Router from a "smooth-talker" at HD a few years back who guaranteed that it would be dust-free routing for my dovetails (I forget the model, but it was about $225).After I hooked up the suction base & hose, I started routing some dovetails-damn...sure was not dust-free! The noise from the vac & router combined has led me to wear ear protection (a plus).
Went back the next day to talk to the salesman and he was nowhere to be found - ever again. Went on to the next HD I guess.
It's a good router, but my 10 yr old Bosch D-handle still completes 90% of my work.
Lou
loutent wrote:

I'm one of those guys that likes instant gratification. I do order things on the web, but there's nothing I like better than wandering into a woodworking shop and walking out with some heavy tool to push the edges of the envelope as far as what will fit in my Taurus. I've bought a lot of stuff from the local Woodcraft store (on the other side of town). I've also bought a fair amount of stuff from Klingspor's (which is on my side of town).
The next big purchase (too big for the Taurus) will depend on who offers free delivery. There's a local machinery supplier who has a tremendous selection of Delta and Jet stuff. Somebody is gonna deliver my bandsaw. I don't know who, but somebody will.
Don't forget the borg. I picked up a nice 15" drill press from HD that was being phased out by Ridgid (Emerson) for Ridgid (Chinese Crap). I got the tool manager to cut me a deal, so I saved a fair amount. It fit in the Taurus, but just barely.
If you can stand it, wait for those 20% off sales that seem to happen periodically. I remember reading a posting from somebody who bought a gift certificate at 20% off, then applied it at a 10% off sale. Pretty smart.
To get back to your original thought: I've always found them to be nice guys at Woodcraft, and they carry a hell of a lot of inventory there in the store. I've probably spent a good $2000 there in the last four months.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:31:37 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Guess I am also.... I will purchase locally 90 percent of the time even if it costs me more.... When I NEED something or even think I may NEED something I want it NOW....
Never did like returns to mail order places...rather walk into a local dealer and drop the defective tool on the counter and get personal with the clerk...
Bob Griffiths
This is why SWMBO doesn't allow me to to go to Woodcraft alone with the checkbook! :>)
Grant
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Indianapolis has both a Woodcraft and Rockler store and both places are real pleasures to visit and do business with, much nicer than mail order or web based outlets especially if you have any problems.
Mike
The trouble with the Indy Woodcraft store is that it is on the north side of town. A real pain when one lives in Bloomington.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:31:37 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

hi mort. it seems we are in the same area. if you need help hauling some of the larger stuff just ping me here. i have a truck and a trailer and dont mind helpin out a fellow wrecker. i also shop both places and they seem to share the bargains equaly. one may have a drill press cheeper and the other may have a saw cheeper. it pays to check em all. BTW have you been out to graham to woodworkers supply? they got some nice stuff also.
skeez
skeezics wrote:

Well, that's a very generous offer. I appreciate it very much. To answer your question, no, I've never been there... but you can be sure I will be going, now that I know they're there. I'm a newbie, so there are some pretty significant gaps in my knowledge.
While we're throwing out names, Blume Supply on South Blvd. has a tremendous selection of big tools. It's just a few blocks closer to town than Klingspor's.
I live right off Sharon Road West in south Charlotte.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:34:01 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

wow! i thought you was in raliegh. must be charlot and raliegh got a lot in common. lol... skeez
just to add to the other post i just sent out you may also want to check out tarheel filing located off woodard drive.
skeez
|What a nice store - almost too nice for a woodworking store in that |it was very "tony". My wife would almost tolerate walking through |this place. Much larger than the old place. Exotic woods (maybe I'll |start using something other than oak, poplar & walnut).
After lots of shopping I bought my Unisaw from Wendy at the local Woodcraft store on their February sale day. Other than paying sales tax, the prices (before discount) are the same as anywhere on the net and they delivered to my garage for an extra $15.
When I've had problems (too many to list here and subject for a rant one of these days) I can go eyeball-to-eyeball with them.
The only problem with shopping there is I went in two days ago for a $4.50 box of wood screws (needed in a hurry) and spent $45.
Wes