Hello fellow woodworkers

"Tom Plamann" wrote

Hi Tom,

I'm still following this news group and miss your input.

I'd love to see more of your work on the Tudor. I could use the inspiration.

Reply to
Nova

Hey Jack. Good to hear from you. I'll see what I can do for more pics. Take care. Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom Plamann

Hey Tom!

Good to hear from you!

Scarey Strange I was just thinking about this morining while I was looking at my Flickr wood working pictures this morning, wondering what you would think about my bedroom furniture that I designed and built last year. LOL

Hope your family is doing well these days.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I'm well, thanks. Good to see you back, Tom.

My shop is so packed I can't even get in there to work much, but I'm doing more woodwork than ever, albeit in a handyman style. (mostly decks and porches, fencing and carports)

What design software are you using in that comfy office of yours? Master Architect or SoftPlan? Vectric Aspire? Corel? Some flavor of CAD? Or are you slummin' it with a pencil and drafting machine? I'm still researching the investment in Aspire and a CNC router table. April 15th will tell me if I still have any seed money left for a downpayment.

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------- "Hi" back at ya.

Glad to see you are OK.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, you have not resorted to doing the handyman jobs at least.

Really outstand>

Reply to
Pat Barber

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Louis L'Amour

Larry

I am using AutoCad and then importing the .dwg files into Cinema 4D to convert the home into 3D. I can get incredible renderings and walkthrough with this program. Also, after using Windows since 1989, I made the switch to Mac two years ago. Didn't think I would ever say this but WOW! Not only increase in stability, but much better speed and rendering. Of course it probably isn't a fair comparison seeing my beast of a machine is a decked out Dual QuadCore Mac Pro with 32GB ram. It's just nice not to have to run virus protection in the background and I have yet to crash it. Happy days..... Don't use a mouse anymore either. Wacom tablet. Yeeeeesh...... I'm feelin like a geek.....

Reply to
Tom Plamann

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Louis L'Amour

That's a beast alright. You think you can youtube us a few scenes? I have been using Vectorworks and Strata since 1991 on macs (mac since

84) and rendering walk-throughs with a decent amount of lighting, frame-rate and resolution can sure gobble up the power in a hurry. Strata has a program which doles out the rendering processes to a variety of networked machines sharing the processing load. IIRC, that pgm (RenderPro, IIRC) can take input from others as well. Personally, I have never needed anything like that. Thumbs up on the Wacom (intuous). Stability? My lowly G4, the one that does on-line duty, has been on, without a crash, since I installed OSX in April of 2000. I mean powered up..on.. (except during power failures and upgrades, of course) That geekness goes away.... *smirk*
Reply to
Robatoy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@v16g2000vbq.googlegroups.com, Tom Plamann spewed forth:

good to hear from ya again. great lookin mantels btw(big surprise) do you have any pics of the staircase you were working on? I would love to see how it came out. and I, as others, miss your website

Reply to
ChairMan

Y'think? Whassat, $15,000 worth? Ram and computing power = speedy rendering. You probably have 1+ gig of fast video ram, too. I went to the MAC store and got one up to $11,035 without the CAD or graphics software. Ouch, and Enjoy!

Don't think that there aren't virii out for the MAC. There certainly are. There just aren't nearly as many. _Do_ protect yourself if you download from other computers, Tom.

I have an old artZII 6x9 Wacom but haven't set it up with the new Win7 computer yet. Tablets are great.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tom, are you doing any of the work on those mantels?

I remember you started carving and were very good very quickly.

And why was the mantel carved on site instead of in a shop? Ambiance?

Nice pics as always.

Reply to
tiredofspam

"Tom Plamann" wrote

That quad duo of yours can make 4 posts so quick, it seems like only one post, huh?

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
Steve

I'll look for some of those stairway pics. I took the website down because it was getting out of hand and I wasn't feeling comfortable with it. It was turning into something I didn't want it to be.

Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom Plamann

This one hasn't dropped in lately... Just finished a new house with an attached INSULATED shop . Not as big as I'd like (it's 29'X29') but it isn't as cold as my older metal building. Hopefully moving in in the next 2 weeks. Tom B

Just thought I would pop in to say hi and see if any of the old timers were still here. Hope everyone is doing fine and staying safe.

Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom B

-------------------------- Congrats and enjoy the new digs.