Hello all I'm a Noob

Hi folks, I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rick, from Washington state and I'm an amateur woodworking with aspirations of someday getting my skill level up to somewhere half as good as most of you are. I've been "lurking" for a month or so reading and viewing some excellent stuff, I'm very impressed with the knowledge level and skills most seem to possess. I've seen and read about some very nice work detailed in pictures so I am hoping to learn a lot of good things from this group. Everyone seems very knowledgable and helpful. I'll be posting pics, questions and comments and such on a fairly regular basis. I look forward to learning and growing my skills from within here.

Reply to
Rick P.

Nice to meet you, Rick. Could'ja turn off the HTML, please? Thanks.

If you want to be half as good as some of the folks here, you're way more ambitious than I am. I'd be quite happy being 1/4 of the way there.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Welcome Rick, make sure you put BAD on your ignore list.

Reply to
Rumpty

=_NextPart_000_0066_01C46BDB.FC45A8D0

Hi, Rick. Please turn off the HTML.

Yeah, this is one of the best newsgroups in existence. I've learned a hell of a lot from these old (and young) farts. ;)

Post pics to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture or a.b.p.woodworking

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Rick,

Welcome to woodwork> Hi folks, I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My

Reply to
Cody Hart

Cody needs to turn off HTML too.

If you view the properties of your posts you will see what HTML means. If you just look at the sizes of the posts you will see that Rick's post was 5 KB, while Dave's and Rumpty's were both 2 KB even though they quoted Rick's entire (text) message. Cody's HTML bloat took 5 KB. Please do not post HTML even in a binaries group.

Reply to
NoSpam

Sorry folks, HTML is now off. Thanks Cody, I'll definitely keep that in mind. What I'm mainly into right now is wanting to build some adirondack chairs and some other outdoor stuff like that. I need to build a solid and sturdy workbench for my new little hobby shop work area and I also would like to try my hand at building a nice router cabinet. The bench plans are from a recent shopnotes issue I saw. Thanks again, Rick

Reply to
Rick P.

=_NextPart_000_0066_01C46BDB.FC45A8D0

Reply to
Rick P.

Reply to
Cody Hart

Reply to
Cody Hart

Reply to
jo4hn

The Nannup Furniture Gallery Support small business ~ Save a Species Today ~ ME!

snipped-for-privacy@swanriverfurniture.com.au

Dont do it . . .. ..... . .. !!!

It is the pathway to hell and damnation . ..

look what its done to Larry - and poor old Jummy ( where is Jummwood these days?) . .. . and Sigh! . . .. and the rest of the Jackalopes.!

Of course it hs left me relatively unscathed - . . . . . . I'm just not very knowlageable ( see cant even spell it ) or helpful . . ..

Kiss your family goodbye and embark on your journey to the nether world - the dark side of woodworking begs you to join the frivolity of buying more tools to feed you - more space ( there goes the limo to the outside ) because 1 sqm is too much and 1000sqm is not enough . . .. .

Come and play with us . . . .. we crave fresh blood from the tugsten cuts to your favourite digits . . . . !\

. . . . .. . ................... Fark me - whered that all come from .. . . . .?

Must still be in my recovery phase from having our Christmass in July bash at the Darradup Volunteer Bush Fire shed last night. .. .

What a great piss up . .. . recovery is not going well though . . .. Merry Xmas

Phully

"Rick P." wrote in message news:0%bKc.7584$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net... Hi folks, I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rick, from Washington state and I'm an amateur woodworking with aspirations of someday getting my skill level up to somewhere half as good as most of you are. I've been "lurking" for a month or so reading and viewing some excellent stuff, I'm very impressed with the knowledge level and skills most seem to possess. I've seen and read about some very nice work detailed in pictures so I am hoping to learn a lot of good things from this group. Everyone seems very knowledgable and helpful. I'll be posting pics, questions and comments and such on a fairly regular basis. I look forward to learning and growing my skills from within here.

Reply to
Phil Laird

my usual advice about building a router table is don't try to build too fancy a one the first time. in fact, start with a slab of scrap (a formica sink cutout is great) and mount your router under that and clamp it to a couple of saw horses. use that for a while until you have a good itea of it's shotrcomings for *your* use in *your* shop. then modify it or build another one that addresses those issues. only after a few rounds of that should you consider building a fancy one. if you build the fancy one first you'll get attached to it and be stuck with it's shortcomings.

can I suggest that this post stay in rec.woodworking since it is discussion? (he says, crossposting )

Reply to
bridger

As they say "you've got to be real crook to die son..."

Reply to
Greg Millen

Hey Rick, Whereabouts do you live! I'm in the Everett area myself. Always like to find wood workers to compare notes with. Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

Hi Michael, I live up north in that huge metropolis called Stanwood. I am an engineering technical designer and work in Everett at that major aircraft manufacturing facility. Just FYI "neighbor". I would appreciate and enjoy sharing and comparing. Just remove (nospam) from my email address if you would like to send directly. Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick P.

The essential parts of a router table are: 1 - A mounting for the router that doesn't move around (ie, if you're going to use a router plate insert, make sure that there's *no* slop in the cavity it goes in. 2 - An adjustable fence.

The first router table I started building was the one that Norm did on New Yankee Workshop... a big behemoth with a footprint bigger than

3'x'2. I never even finished it before I realized that the space it consumed was just way too much compared with the size of my shop and the amount I anticipated using it. I tore it all up and then bought Rockler's $99 benchtop one and I'm very happy with it.

Almost all router tables you see for sale (and many plans) include a miter gauge slot. If you ask most people here, hardly any have every used the slot for anything... and most are even at a loss when they try to *imagine* something you'd use it for (the only thing I can think of is for making tenons). So, the miter slot is fairly overrated on router tables.

As far as workbenches go... that recent one from ShopNotes about a year or so back is a bit of a beast. I'm currently making the one from issue #24

It's going to be 2'x5' when I finish it. If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably have made it 2'x4' so that it would be a snap to go down to the hardware store and buy more sheets of 2'x4' masonite to use as disposable tops.

Anyway... project-specific tips aside, the best bit of info I've picked up from this group so far is this:

Power tools won't make you a woodworker.

The explanation of that axiom is: If you don't know how to make stuff with hand tools, then power tools aren't going to help much. Unless you know how to make stuff fit properly with hand tools, they probably aren't going to fit properly made with power tools.

This doesn't mean that you should go out and spend your kids' college fund on all of the exotic hand planes you can find, but you should, at least, be able to picture how you'd do something with hand tools before you save your time by doing it with power tools.

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Emenaker

I, OTOH, use the miter slot frequently, but mostly for holding a featherboard. I guess the frequency of use depends on the kind of stuff you do.

Glen

Reply to
Glen