HEAVY MACHINE

I am buying a metal lathe. It weighs 560 lbs. what would be the easiest way to raise it to the heighth needed to place it on a work bench.
Thanks to all. Smitty

Where is this happening? Basement? Garage? etc.
I presume a garage.
Can you rent an engine hoist? Hydraulic motorcycle lift?
Otherwise, four to six very strong men... And lots of prayer.
V8013-R

and good cribbing lumber...
Mark

Archimedes said, give me a lever long enough and I can move the world. Seriously though you might consider some automotive floor jacks rigged with a wooden platform or cribbing. Joe G
Block and tackle?

And beer - don't forget beer. AFTER THE LATHE IS IN PLACE!!!!
Seriously: How is the lathe getting to your shop? My 1442 was lighter but the shipper loaded it into my pickup. I backed into the garage shop and assembled one set of legs to the frame while the rest was in the bed of the pickup. Then I slid some heavy-duty metal sawhorses under the frame and gently slid everything free of the truck so I could install the other set. You might be able to do something similar to get it on you bench. I'd still recommend helpers. And Beer.
RonB
It's coming by boat (to Hawaii) and I will have to pick it up with my truck. The idea of a rental lift sounds like the way to go. Thanks to all.
Smitty

A couple of Canadian girls?

Somethings never change... thank goodness! Hi Robo
Tom
--
Maker of Fine Sawdust and Thin Shavings

Get a crane!

My mum.
She can lift anything.
I remember when I was a kid, she'd get off the bus with about 20 shopping bags in each hand.
:o)
A portable engine crane and a load leveler. Been there, done that.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g8713 http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6227
Steve
On 20 Mar 2007 11:30:16 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Easiest way? Find the nearest bodybuilding gym and offer 50 bucks each for however many assistants you think you need. Make sure you've got enough guys to lift the weight without straining and make sure they demonstrate that they can before you leave (gyms are handy that way).
Doing it solo I'd probably use some cinder blocks and a jack. Lift one end at a time, go in steps, and make sure that your stack of blocks is stable.
If you've got the overhead clearance a come-along would do nicely for that weight, but don't get any part of your body under it.
--John
If Canadian Girls or bodybuilders aren't readily available <G>, go to the local "rental center" and rent an automotive engine hoist (cherry picker). Cheap rental and with a sling will lift much more weight than you need.
Bill