Heavy-duty leg levelers for shop use

(Repost - Link corrected)
I needed some leg levelers for radial arm saw wings - and being a true pinchpenny type, built my own. When I was done, I decided I liked 'em well enough to share the idea here.
I don't know that they're particularly pretty; but they do seem to work well. I posted photos at <http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/RAS_Table.html
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Very nice!
I usually jam a tee nut into the end of the leg, but while the tools are out, I could crank out a bunch of your versions.
Barry
Morris Dovey wrote:

I think these will work quite well. One question I would have is, with the head of the carriage bolt on the floor, does it move easily. I made a similar setup for my tablesay extension. If bumped it, it would easily slide out of place. So I ended up putting the carpet saver pads under the bolt head to keep it from sliding around. Just a thought.
I also built some. I was too cheap to buy them. I took a metal freeze plug from an old car engine and welded a threaded stud to the outside of the cup. I then used and expanding rubber one for inside the cup which was the part in contact with the floor. So I had a nice cushy and very strong foot that looked good. max

on 2/16/2005 9:58 AM max said the following:

Hmmmm, Might not hurt to make the acquaintance of an appliance dealer or two. Seems that the screw-type leveling feet from refrigerators, washers, dryers, stoves might be just the ticket. Rubber-faced and 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" diameter ought to work just fine.
Hell, occasionally our local wrecking yard will have a load of appliances in to be crushed along with the car wrecks.

I am certain that a web search will probably produce some supplier who sell this type of leveler.
But that would spoil the "found treasure" thrill. :)
on 2/16/2005 12:17 PM Lee Michaels said the following:

Probably can find all you need by scoping out any Kenmore product and the going to the parts page at www.sears.com and spending $18 each for them. You're right, it definitely would spoil the "found treasure" aspect of this.<g>
David Lankford wrote:

These /will/ move - but they'll take the RAS with 'em. The wings are bolted solidly to the RAS, which is on a mobile base so I can vacuum the area where it sits with no hassle. I like that I can unlock the base's casters and move the whole works as a unit for cleaning.
If I didn't want it to move I think I could put rubber feet on the RAS base, then use socket head screws (instead of the carriage bolts) with slip-on rubber or plastic tips.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Here's a version I plan to make using hockey pucks (about $1/ea). http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=jigs&file=articles_374.shtml
I'll probably use a T-nut instead of the coupler. -- Igor

Levelers look fantastic - but never mind them. Look at all that room you have - WOW. In one of the pics, your shop looks to be located in an aircraft-hanger sized space - very nice, I am jealous. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the kind words - and it /is/ an aircraft hanger. If you look closely at the right-hand wing on the RAS, that skinny black object is a propeller blade that I'm about to copy with the CNC router.
And if you look *really* closely, you'll notice that there's no [air]plane in the hanger. )-8
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar