heating shop

Page 2 of 2
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- Location, location.
Makes a difference.
Fuel choices for heating:
1) Natural gas 2) Fuel oil 3) Propane 4) Electric, only if there is no other option.
Lew
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:23:47 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I'm in Eastern WA, we have hot dry summers and cold wet winters. I need A/C about 3-4 months a year and heat about 5-6. The other 2-4 months I don't need anything.

I've been using a window A/C for cooling - not too expensive. But my heating has consisted of one (or two on a really cold day) portable electric heaters. Expensive, and it takes 2-3 hours to warm up the shop unless I keep it semi-warm overnight, which gets even more expensive.
I do have natural gas, so a direct vent gas heater is probably the cheapest option for heat. And with no inside intake or exhaust, probably a pretty safe option as well.
But it does nothing for cooling. We once lived in a house with a heat pump in a similar climate to here, and I was impressed. So I'm torn between the gas and a separate A/C, and a heat pump to take care of both.
Here's one of the heat pump units I found:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid51640045&sr=8-1&keywords=FRA08P1>
But I need more research on capacity.
Thanks to you and everyone else who responded.
carrying a cross.
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- A heat pump has a lot going for it if you can handle the up front cost.
My guess is you are going to need something in the 15-20,000 BTU range.
Lew
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:38:40 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Might have to consider how much time is in the shop. If your out there a lot the heat pump may be best. If not the A/C unit when you need it may be cheaper.
Mike M
On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:37:01 AM UTC-5, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I use a 30,000 btu vent-less natural gas wall heater to heat my 1,000SF garage/workshop. It does a great job on the coldest days. 30K BTU would be overkill for you but they make smaller ones. You would have to provide some kind of outside air circulation but the fit of the garage doors and a vent in my attic access does well. I paid less than $300 for my unit and the plumbing added about $50 more. Easy installation.
RonB
Big snip.....

garage/workshop. It does a great job on the coldest days. 30K BTU would be overkill for you but they make smaller ones. You would have to provide some kind of outside air circulation but the fit of the garage doors and a vent in my attic access does well. I paid less than $300 for my unit and the plumbing added about $50 more. Easy installation.

Where are you located and how much insulation in your shop?
Thanks, Roy
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
We'll be moving next month and I'm going to wall off part of the garage for a shop. Still a small shop, but more than the 11x13 shed I have now.
A wood stove isn't an option because I don't generate enough scrap to keep one going and I don't want to either buy wood or go out and harvest it. Plus I have some safety concerns.
So I've been looking for heating and cooling options. A through the wall ductless heat pump looks like the best option, but I don't think I can afford one. A window AC/heat pump is more affordable, but I'd have to make a "window" for it. Finally, I could go with a direct vent gas heater and a separate AC, or just try to do with out AC - the garage will get heavily insulated.
I'd appreciate everyone's opinions or experiences with the above options or with any other option I may have overlooked. Thanks.
carrying a cross.
Where are you located.. that matters more than anything.