Heating a wood shop

"Ron Magen" wrote in news:DG4_c.301267$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Uh, Ron, Phil's in South Africa. Things might be a bit different there.

A couple of weeks ago, he indicated that a router insert would take 7-10 WEEKS to arrive.

Necessity can be a mother...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

'Patriarch', Know Phil's at a 'far distance' from here - the question was / is rhetorical.

There has been several similar references & comments - from U.S. posters. The closest thing around here {Philly suburbs}is driving around the neighborhoods with a pick-up or small utility trailer on trash day {and wouldn't my wife LOVE that !!}. The other option is 'dumpster diving' behind K-Mart. Do that behind Home Depot or a construction site and the local constabulary will give you a world of trouble !!

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" Uh, Ron, Phil's in South Africa. Things might be a bit different there.

Reply to
Ron Magen

I have a 30 x 40 shop in the Seattle area. It has a high ceiling, 14 ft in parts. I opted for a pellet stove since the cost of putting in a tall chimmney made a wood stove more expensive. I have been very satisfied with the pellet stove. It is totally enclosed with a fan for circulating the heat in the shop and another fan for running the combustion and exhaust. The exhaust is just through the wall. I also have a ceiling fan to help get the heat out of the tall ceiling area.

Reply to
Roland

"Ron Magen" wrote in news:uLk_c.305753$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

My eldest son spent a couple of years in the Philly area. Loved the people and the local food. He told me that it took a California boy a little while to adjust to the Philly culture, and ways of doing things.

We get no dumpster diving here, either, but that doesn't seem to stop my brothers-in-law. Me, I have no storage space for what I now own. My wife is looking forward to me being a net seller at the block garage sale next month.

I see what a fellow like Lawrence L'Hote (?) does with recycled stuff, and feel like I waste way too many resources...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Ron, Here a scrap yard is a dealer who buys/collects scrap and resells at a vast profit. The local one call himself "Honest George" (oxymoron). There is all kinds of rubbish there but somtimes you can find a useful item. Shades of 'Steptoe and Son' and the sitcom you had with Redd Foxx. Cheers

Reply to
Phil Hansen

[snip] We have a community dump here in the elevated sticks. Part of the dump is an area known as "Another Man's Treasure". If you have something that you can't use or want to sell, you can leave it there for someone else to pick up and restart the chain. Great place for recyclables.

Oh and which reminds me...

There once was a rich man who was near death. He was very sad because he had worked so hard for his money and he wanted to be able to take it with him to heaven. So he began to pray that he might be able to take some of his wealth with him.

An angel hears his plea and says to him... "Sorry, but you can't take your wealth with you." The man implores the angel to speak to God to see if He might bend the rules.

The man continues to pray that his wealth could follow him. The angel reappears and informs the man that God has decided to allow him to take one suitcase with him. Overjoyed, the man gathers his largest suitcase and fills it with pure gold bars and places it beside his bed.

Soon afterward the man dies and shows up at the Gates of Heaven to greet St. Peter. St. Peter seeing the suitcase says, "Hold on, you can't bring that in here!"

But, the man explains to St. Peter that he has permission and asks him to verify his story with the Lord. Sure enough, St. Peter checks and comes back saying, "You're right. You are allowed one carry-on bag, but I'm supposed to check its contents before letting it through."

St. Peter opens the suitcase to inspect the worldly items that the man found too precious to leave behind and exclaims - "You brought pavement?!!!"

Reply to
jo4hn

Today it was put back in use. Snowing now and looks like it will be the heaviest snow since I have been here in 5 years. Well at least I have a stove and can get the shop warm.

Reply to
Phil Hansen

You in Breckenridge? I heard they got 8 inches!!!

JP

***************** I miss the Rockies.
Reply to
Jay Pique

No. Rosetta, South Africa

Reply to
Phil Hansen

And it speaks volumes for what has become of our society that one can be arrested for taking trash from the dump.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Some dumps and transfer stations have a place to set aside the still working stuff for others to take. Others, though, sell the scrap metal and feel that you are stealing from them.

Seems to me that salvaging stuff is a good way to go. I know of a fellow that made a few bucks by taking lawn mowers and repairing them. He'd sell them for $25 to $50 or so and keep them from filling up the big hole in the ground.

Logic and municipal laws have nothing in common.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Where I live in the UK, the 'salvage rights' go to the contractor supplying the 'transfer station' service. Nick

Reply to
Nick

Live Texas, on or about Septmeber 16th, 2004, with the shop doors wide open and two fans going full blast.

nuff said.

Reply to
Swingman

Ugh. I haven't been in weather that hot since a spate of nasty stuff here and in the Carolinas back in the early and mid-80s.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self