heater btu question

If you are looking for shop heat, consider a Modine Hot Dawg or a Reznor UDAP heater. I think you can buy the Hot Dawg heater at Mills Fleet Farm for about $400. Also the venting will add to the cost too. In the end instead of just a convection wall heater you get a heater hanging from the ceiling, out of the way, with a fan to help circulate the air. It depends on how big of shop you are heating as to the size of heater, of course! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

thinking of

problem.

ceiling, out

heater, of

I'm only going to be heating a largeish single car size garage. I'm not sure right off hand what the measurements are. It is well insulated, but being a garage, there are areas around the door etc., that show some light. I will check into the Hot Dawg and see what size they recommend. Sounds like I will need a good heater. The wife said snowing, blowing and 50mph gusts. Not nice...

Paul

Reply to
Paul in MN

1-1/2 car garage should heat very well with a 30,000 BTU Hot Dawg. That is the smallest they make. Weather strip the door well to cut down on the drafts. I assume the overhead door in insulated?

I have a 50,000 BTU residential furnace in my garage. It is a model that can be laid sideways so I hung it near the ceiling, added a air filter and a bit of duct to it. My garage is 24 x 38 feet, and it heats it well, t-shirt weather all year 'round. Plus I also have AC connected to it all to, so in those hot humid, misquito filled evenings I can close the door to stay bite and sweat free! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Sounds like the 30,000 BTU unit is the one for me. The garage is quite well insulated, but as you say I will have to weatherstrip the door a bit better. With the two electric heaters in there I can maintain decent heat, but it takes quite a while to heat it up. I never thought about air conditioning. That's another possibility. Maybe even just a window type unit.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in MN

I just picked up a 35,000 btu "Reddy Heater". My shop is 20x20 and the walls are insulated but it has no celing (want storage) and the trusses are not insulated yet. It was 8 degrees in Iowa the other morning and I fired it up - in twenty minutes, I could take my coat off.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

I had a window unit before I ripped it all out and went this way. It helps that I do HVAC work for a living! The condensing unit cost me nothing, it is actually parts from two differant units that were heading for the trash. The furnace was a scratch and dent from a distributor we deal with. Greg

Reply to
Greg O