heat resistant finish?

Hello,
I am building some new QS white oak kitchen cabinet doors and am hoping for some insight into finishes. The previous set of cabinet doors were damaged over the years by an under cabinet mounted toaster oven and coffee maker. So, one area was damaged by heat (discoloration of the finish) , and another was damaged by steam/humidity (finish broke down, peeled off, and the wood started drying out and splitting). What finishes would you recommend that might minimize discoloration by heat and penetration of steam into the wood? Yes, one right answer would be to not mount the appliances under the cabinets, but that isn't going to happen.
BTW, the damage occurred over about 15 years, so I am resigned to not being able to absolutely _prevent_ this from happening again.
Thanks, Neil
[...]
Epoxy might, unless the temp got too high. Some conversion varnishes might come close. About the only thing you can be sure about is porcelain enamel, as that'll take both the heat and even steam.
Now, have you thought of a deflector? Say, painted sheet aluminum as a decorative shroud to redirect or disperse some of the heat and steam? If put under a cabinet, it may not be very visible. And, if the temp is really high, put a thin layer of space-age insolation between it and the cabinets. Not foolproof, but may delay the damage further, so that your grandchildren are dealing with it instead.
GerryG
On 19 Aug 2004 01:16:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (Neil) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com says...

Long term, maybe that two part pour on epoxy bar top stuff but I'm not even sure about that.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

I don't think there's any finish that's going to protect the wood from drying out over a period of years. In this area, I'd first consider something like a a heat-resistant Formica (tm) attached with a really good epoxy; Epoxy paint is also an option but apply it inside and out to seal the wood completely.
Norm
http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/USC800ConVar.html
conversion varnish, also known as "CV". It thins with xylene and you need to spray. It's toxic, not as clear as nitro, but it's TOUGH.
And might I suggest that you pick up a copy of Bob Flexner's book on Finishing?
David
Neil wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions everybody- very helpful.
Neil