Heat resistant finish?

I am making trivets (Hot Pads) for my daughter. The wood is maple. What finish should I use that won't flake off or turn color from heat when you put a hot dish on it?

Thanks Dave

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Reply to
Brandystew

None. Maple is fine without, and if you feel you really desperately need one use Wax.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

BLO has worked fine for us for years.

Renewable, too.

Reply to
George

Are we to assume you are, in fact, talking about a hot plate and not a frying pan straight from the stove or roasting pan straight from the over, etc...?

Reply to
Mike G

Assume?

He asked about trivets. Our trivets are treated with BLO. Pan sits on them like any other trivet.

Reply to
George

You may want to reread the original post before you wet your pants over possibly finding some bit of trivia. He asked about trivets and hot plates. Hot plates do not equate to a cast iron frying pan coming directly off the stove or the thanksgiving turkey pan directly out of a 350 degree oven after six hours..

At some point the wood, BLO or no, will start to, at a minimum, discolor or char. It is entirely possible to get a pan hot enough to char wood and there isn't a common woodworking finish in the world that will prevent it.

You said your piece and I said mine, without, I might add, getting smart ass about it and your reply.

Reply to
Mike G

I dunno, maybe ignorance is bliss. We often take a cast iron pan from the oven at about 325 to 375 and just put it on the wood. So far, no burns, not discoloration. It could change, I 've only been doing it for 20+ years so maybe over time it will do some harm. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've got a section of countertop that is unfinished maple used as a cutting board. It has a rather large scorch mark from a frying pan that was taken off the gas burner and placed on it. My wife didn't think it would do any harm either.

The repair is somewhere on my "Honey do" list.

Nova

Danish Oil

Philski

Reply to
philski

Not I who read what he wanted - and assumed. He's building trivets - follow this - parenthesis hot pads. English is a wonderful language, learn it.

Note the delicate difference between pad and plate, as well.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Mike G

Penetrating finishes will not flake off. Thus BLO seems fine. Has been, as I said, at our house. Oldest around 7 years, woods white pine, red oak, cherry.

You might be able to scorch the wood - I know the cherry has scorched, but that's not the oil.

If you've got a pan hot enough to scorch the oil used in cooking, you generally don't have food in it, but garbage.

Reply to
George

What is BLO?

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Reply to
Brandystew

Boiled Linseed Oil. One of the basic finishes and is used in Danish oil also. While not actually boiled, it is heated and made to polymerize when applied to wood.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Gentlemen: (I should say "Ladies and Gentlemen") Reading this thread to the end is disheartening. We're all woodworkers, not politicians trying to discredit on another. Is a little civility beyond what is to be hoped for? i.e. this tone of "you are obviously such a dumshit for not seeing the obvious. I on the other hand..."

bob g.

Brandystew wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway