Heat resistant finish?

I am making trivets (Hot Pads) for my daughter. The wood is maple. What finish should I use that won't flake off or turn color from heat when you put a hot dish on it?
Thanks Dave
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNOSPAM (Brandystew) writes:

None. Maple is fine without, and if you feel you really desperately need one use Wax.
BLO has worked fine for us for years.
Renewable, too.

Are we to assume you are, in fact, talking about a hot plate and not a frying pan straight from the stove or roasting pan straight from the over, etc...?
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

You may want to reread the original post before you wet your pants over possibly finding some bit of trivia. He asked about trivets and hot plates. Hot plates do not equate to a cast iron frying pan coming directly off the stove or the thanksgiving turkey pan directly out of a 350 degree oven after six hours..
At some point the wood, BLO or no, will start to, at a minimum, discolor or char. It is entirely possible to get a pan hot enough to char wood and there isn't a common woodworking finish in the world that will prevent it.
You said your piece and I said mine, without, I might add, getting smart ass about it and your reply.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

I dunno, maybe ignorance is bliss. We often take a cast iron pan from the oven at about 325 to 375 and just put it on the wood. So far, no burns, not discoloration. It could change, I 've only been doing it for 20+ years so maybe over time it will do some harm. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I've got a section of countertop that is unfinished maple used as a cutting board. It has a rather large scorch mark from a frying pan that was taken off the gas burner and placed on it. My wife didn't think it would do any harm either.
The repair is somewhere on my "Honey do" list.
Not I who read what he wanted - and assumed. He's building trivets - follow this - parenthesis hot pads. English is a wonderful language, learn it.
Note the delicate difference between pad and plate, as well.

Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
Penetrating finishes will not flake off. Thus BLO seems fine. Has been, as I said, at our house. Oldest around 7 years, woods white pine, red oak, cherry.
You might be able to scorch the wood - I know the cherry has scorched, but that's not the oil.
If you've got a pan hot enough to scorch the oil used in cooking, you generally don't have food in it, but garbage.

Brandystew wrote:

Philski
What is BLO?
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Boiled Linseed Oil. One of the basic finishes and is used in Danish oil also. While not actually boiled, it is heated and made to polymerize when applied to wood.
Gentlemen: (I should say "Ladies and Gentlemen") Reading this thread to the end is disheartening. We're all woodworkers, not politicians trying to discredit on another. Is a little civility beyond what is to be hoped for? i.e. this tone of "you are obviously such a dumshit for not seeing the obvious. I on the other hand..."
bob g.