heat resistant clear finishes

I'd like to make some trivets like those in Woodworkers Journal, December

2011.

No finish is mentioned but I rather think that some sort of finish might be advangtageous to prevent stains from any food spillage. But, what sort of clear finish will be heat resistant? And imagine a pan coming fresh from the oven at 450 degrees!

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton

I haven't heard of one. IIRC, wood will scorch at that temp, and some online looking for a few minutes indicate that some low density woods will actually begin to burn (not flame, just char) at that temp.

I don't think you could use a resin finish as they are much too susceptible to temps problems. After all, when they are dry, most are simply plastic coatings adhered to a surface. Most plastics melt at pretty low temps.

You might try mineral oil. I use it on my home made spatulas and even when frying (I know... it isn't at 450F, settle down...) I don't have any problems with the oil protecting the wood. it is easy to apply, easy to renew, and really cheap.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"Ralph Compton" wrote in news:7OWdnYMBw6etW_vSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I've never done this, but you will need a material that can stand those temperatures, and wood isn't it, I think. Perhaps you can try some manmade counter material like Silestone. I'm assuming that you can get scraps at a counterstore. Just make sure your tools are appropriate for it, and wear dust protection. That dust is bad for you ...

Reply to
Han

Ralph, I have made a dozen or so trivets for the wife and kids. I find an attractive ceramic tile (bathroom/kitchen) in the 4x6 range and trim it out in oak. I support the bottom of the tiles with some Masonite that is dado'ed into the oak trim so that the tile will be about a 1/32-1/16" above the oak. I finish the oak with stain and a "GENERAL FINISHES" oil based finish with a sheen of your choice. These regularity have 'hot' pot such as a cast iron dutch oven and skillets placed on them. After many years of service, no signs of any wear and tear due to heat, cold, liquid and other abuse. Good luck and enjoy the day Norvin

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

Thanks, Norvin, good idea. Actually, very good idea.

Part of my trivit project is thus: When camping, our group often uses the folding plastic banquet tables for our group meals. (I probably have way-overestimated the heat to be placed on the trivets) Some of us use crude trivets, which are nothing more than squares or rectangles of plywood, to keep hot pots off the plastic tabletops. I wanted to make something nicer, for myself as well as others, but also wanted to protect the wood from any spillage of food or liquids. Can't have it all! I really don't know the maximum temperature of the pots we set on the plywood but the oven temperature go up to 450!

I like the tile idea!

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton