Heat for small shop

Hello I'm building a new but small shop, it will be 8' X 10' how ever living in the north east it will get cold up here, it will be insulated, tyvec wrapped and sided, have ac for the summer, but need heat for the winter, I saw and like the "Hot Dog" heaters that hang from the ceiling and run on propane, any input will be gladly welcomed.

Cheers, Thomas Cleveland

Reply to
THOMAS CLEVELAND

THOMAS CLEVELAND, wrote the following at or about 6/7/2007 1:01 PM:

Unless it's a sealed system, I'd be leery of a gas unit in a workshop.

I installed one of these (a Dayton Electric G73 electric ceiling heater) in my 24'x16' shop two years ago and have never regretted the decision for a second.

It keeps the well insulated shop above 45 degrees year around very economically and when I want to work out there in the dead of winter, brings the shop up to around 70 degrees in about 12-17 minutes. I ran a separate 30amp line for it (have a 100 amp panel in the garage/shop).

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I don't know what a "hot dog" heater is (by that name at least) but I'll echo Confused's concern -- gas is ok in a shop but should definitely be external draft model, not internal. Higher initial cost, but for a small area wouldn't be exorbitantly different and the peace of mind is priceless...

Only way I'd relent is if this is to be an "all-Neandertool" shop and no plan for finishing--in that case the dust and/or fumes generation could be minimal enough as to not be a major concern.

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:f49m60$9g4$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I may not be the same as the rest of you folks. OK, I'm not. But what I planned to do in my shop when I started 6 or 8 years ago is different than what I do today.

Make no inflexible choices, particularly where safety is concerned.

I started out with power tools, but I don't use them nearly as much as I used to. At least, it seems that way. Maybe it's just less dramatic than it once was.

Get a good, externally vented heater. This isn't an open construction site we're discussing here. Fumes accumulate.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

SNIP of good thoughts

Absolutely couldn't agree more. Even radiant heaters can generate a spark by igniting a small piece of sawdust thrown in the air that circulates close to the elements, and on the better ones that put out some real heat, I have seen little sparklets generated when heavy sanding appears.

It wouldn't take much for all manner of fumes to accumulate in a shop that small. No would it take much for noxious gasses to build up DEPENDING on the type of heater you get as the years go by and the machine becomes less efficient at burning its fuel.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I just use a "construction" heater hung from my ceiling- takes up little space and provides plenty of heat- especially if the shop is small and insulated.

Runs on 220, have had one for 8 years, no problems at all. Live in central BC so the heater gets plenty of use.

Mick

Reply to
mick

Never having been in the NE, it still seems to me that for a small "insulated, tyvec wrapped and sided" 8x10 shop like yours practically any small electric space heater would do the job.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

THOMAS CLEVELAND wrote: | Hello | I'm building a new but small shop, it will be 8' X 10' how ever | living in the north east it will get cold up here, it will be | insulated, tyvec wrapped and sided, have ac for the summer, but | need heat for the winter, I saw and like the "Hot Dog" heaters that | hang from the ceiling and run on propane, any input will be gladly | welcomed.

You might find the link below if interest - a somewhat larger shop in my area that's solar heated.

Morris Dovey

Morris, forgive me for asking if you've explained this previously but what's the square footage of that shop, the ceiling height and what do you consider to be a "comfortable daytime temperature" in the winter months for that particular application?

Also, that makeup heater looks to be just a tad bigger than the one I have. What is it, about a 7500 watt?

That is just such a great looking installation and shop area and to think, once installed and paid for, it's nearly maintenance free and starts paying back immediately.

Were I building/rebuilding my shop, we'd be talking for sure

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Hi Thomas. I used the smallest Hot Dog heater in my old 650 sq ft. shop. In your smaller shop, I think you would find it overwhelming. Lots of btu's, lots of air movement - too much of both in 80 sq. ft would be my guess.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

My shop is 12 x 24 metal siding and roof and no insulation, located in southern MN.

When outside temperature is below 35 degrees I abandon it and do other things.

But warmer than that, I bundle up good (insulated pants, multiple jacket layers, and stocking cap) and go out. I have a small propane radiant heater (the round type). I hung 2 250 watt heat lamps over the bench, and two over the lathe.

(By the way, I tested the heater by blowing a handful of sawdust into it when it was running. Just a mini 4th of July as dust grains flared into sparks).

I've been amazed how much I can do in that environment, without my hands getting TOO cold. Of course any gluing, or finishing has to be moved into a heated location, as well as anything that has water.

Probably doesn't fit your situation.

Reply to
Old guy

With a shop that is a mere 8' x 10' then, unless you are a person who would prefer to work wood on a beach in the Bahamas, you'll do just fine with a quartz radiant heater as you will not be moving around very much in such a relatively confined space. The quartz heater is grand for heating a static area of the workbench where hand/power tool work is done. That, and a quilted shirt on the coldest of days in winter, will serve you well, IMO, as any sort of open flame is just asking for trouble. A blast of human/compressed air on the heater to dispel any accumulated dust or whatever is all that is needed prior to starting the heater (and then only if you have a really dusty shop).

J.

(working in one half of a two-car garage in NY for nearly 15 years)

THOMAS CLEVELAND wrote:

Reply to
J.

Thu, Jun 7, 2007, 2:01pm snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (THOMAS=A0CLEVELAND) doth claimeth: Hello =A0=A0=A0=A0I'm building a new but small shop, it will be 8' X 10' how ever living in the north east it will get cold up here, it will be insulated, tyvec wrapped and sided, have ac for the summer, but need heat for the winter, I saw and like the "Hot Dog" heaters that hang from the ceiling and run on propane, any input will be gladly welcomed.

You're building it, eh? I wonder then if you realize just how small a 8'X10' shop is going to be, especially after you start putting tools and all in. Unless yoo maybe don[t plan on doing woodworking - you didnt say. My shop is 8'X12' only because that was all I had money to spare for at the time, a choice of something, or nothing. It's uninsulated, but even so, a small electric heater, with a fan, warms it up nicely. I tried one of those electric oil-filled radiator type heaters; worked well enough, but took quite a bit longer than I cared for to get the heat up. If I'd been willing to turn it on, then go back out a 2-3 hours later it should hve served well, but I prefer something a bit faster. The little electric ceramic type heater I have out there now serves well enough.

I'd like to know what you plan on doing in such a small shop. That is if you ever come back, so many seem to ask a question, then never show up again.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

You might consider one of the "motel type" heater/cooling units. It can be mounted through the wall or in a window and if you have power for a window unit, the same will run the heat.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Unquestionably Confused wrote: | Morris Dovey, wrote the following at or about 6/7/2007 5:27 PM: || THOMAS CLEVELAND wrote: ||| Hello ||| I'm building a new but small shop, it will be 8' X 10' how ever ||| living in the north east it will get cold up here, it will be ||| insulated, tyvec wrapped and sided, have ac for the summer, but ||| need heat for the winter, I saw and like the "Hot Dog" heaters ||| that hang from the ceiling and run on propane, any input will be ||| gladly welcomed. || || You might find the link below of interest - a somewhat larger shop || in my area that's solar heated. | | Morris, forgive me for asking if you've explained this previously | but what's the square footage of that shop, the ceiling height and | what do you consider to be a "comfortable daytime temperature" in | the winter months for that particular application?

That shop is 30' x 40' - so floor space will be a bit less than 1200 sq ft. A comfortable daytime temperature is anything in excess of 72F. If there's a run of especially sunny days, the owner will probably need to open windows during the day to keep the temperature in the

70's.

| Also, that makeup heater looks to be just a tad bigger than the one | I have. What is it, about a 7500 watt?

I don't remember - I think he told me that it's a 20kBtu heater. Food for thought: in the solar context, his ceiling fan will be even more important than his unit heater.

| That is just such a great looking installation and shop area and to | think, once installed and paid for, it's nearly maintenance free and | starts paying back immediately. | | Were I building/rebuilding my shop, we'd be talking for sure.

Always glad to do that - on the other hand, one of the purposes of that web page is to demonstrate the total absence of magic. On the third hand, there's more to the design than meets the eye.

If you're inclined to go the DIY route, there're links on the DeSoto Solar home page that provide some essential "getting started" information. (Some of the info is specific to the USA, and I'd be pleased to be able to make the same information available for other parts of the world.)

| Great work!

Thanks. It's interesting to wrestle with the trade-offs to deliver a maximum of heat for a minimum of cost - in a panel intended to serve for the lifetime of the structure. These panels were the best I'd ever produced - but provided info leading to _three_ low-cost design improvements that'll make these inferior to all my future panels.

Morris Dovey

My insulated, detached, 2 car garage/shop in Detroit heats up on a zero degree day in about half an hour. I use a little electric heater that runs on 220, from Lowes or Home Depot, called "The Hot One" (made by Cadet, I think). I like it a lot - but I think they make smaller units more appropriate for your space.

Reply to
TSW632

RE: Subject

For a shop in the NE, used on an intermittent basis, the MOST IMPORTANT thing will be a good insulation job along with radiant heating.

Electric, operating at 240VAC, would be my choice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'll echo this, based on my own experience. I have a basement shop in upstate NY that's about 8x12 or so, and a quartz radiant heater is just fine. Of course in the basement it never gets below 40-45F, but your well-insulated shop should do OK. With the limited floor space, I often hang my heater on the (cement) wall, but if I were buying a new one, there are some ceiling-mount heaters by Marvin - I believe Lee Valley sells at least one model with a halogen light in it. Even my ceiling space is filling up with stuff, so if you can get a light and heater in one, I'd consider that a valuable use of space. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I used the same type of heater in my 12 x 20 shed. I lived in the shed while I was building my house. Slept out there when temps. got down below -40 deg. Mild Manitoba winter night. :)

Reply to
L d'Bonnie

My shop is 11x14 and not as well insulated as yours. A simple electric heater keeps it at 40 all night. Before breakfast I go out and turn it up. Takes about an hour to raise the temperature to 60 if the outdoor temp is above 20. If it's colder than that I don't want to go out anyway :-).

BTW, when I'm in the shop the heater sits anywhere out of the way. When I'm not it sits on the cast iron tablesaw top. It's always plugged into a GFCI outlet. That way I feel it's pretty safe.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard