Hearing protection with biscuit jointer

Page 4 of 4
Tom Watson wrote:

Unless you are Nigel Tufnel.
ObWoodDorking: Peltor.
UA100
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 04:34:06 GMT, Mark & Juanita

YES!
Hearing damage is based on volume and time. Even when it's "not that loud", doing it for a decent amount of time can cause irreversible damage. If you use a dust collector or vac with the biscuit cutter, you may be exposed to more noise than you think. The hum of a dust collection system often dosen't SEEM loud, due to a low pitch, but it may be more damaging than expected. I was a pro sound guy for quite a while and did a lot of reading on hearing protection, as deaf sound mixers don't command very good fees. <G>
I have several types of protection easily available in the shop. They are always at hand, so there is no excuse to don something. I have several sets of the $15 Peltor muffs, 3M foam plugs (with and without neck bands), and Peltor AM/FM muffs. I've found that storing all safety gear out in the open, not buried in a drawer, makes me more likely to use it every time, especially for those "quick" jobs.
The AM/FM units are so comfortable, I normally wear them all the time when using power tools. I don't even take them off when the tools are shut off, I just keep on listening to the radio. The external noise reduction of them is very good, so the radio dosen't have to be loud to be clearly heard over the tools. These things are GREAT for mowing as well. The volume and duration of a typical lawn mowing session will damage your hearing, and these muffs entertain you to boot.
For really loud environments, like the pits at auto races, around guns, or around our diesel generators at work, I use loose 3M foam plugs under a set of muffs.
Barry
*removethis* snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote:

pegs and mounted it on the wall right inside the shop door -- for hanging goggles and earmuffs. They're always available. No excuses.
Doug Miller wrote:

Me too again. I've always been pretty good about the ears, but lazy about the eyes. I bought some extra glasses and have ear/eye stations close to everything. No excuses.
I really deserve an ass chewing for all the things I've done without eye protection, in truth. I'd better hope I never have to have an MRI.

regretted it. [Almost never. *] It is _so_easy_ to put on, that there is just no excuse for not wearing it, even in situations where it doesn't seem to be needed. Emphasis on "seem", BTW. Earlier this month, I was notching a board on the band saw. Pretty safe, right? Somehow, the offcut snagged on the blade and came flying toward me and WHACK! hit the face shield right in front of my nose.
A bonus to the face shield is that my prescription glasses don't fog up.
[*] You gotta remember to flip it up if you feel a sneeze coming on. DAMHIKT.
Doug Miller wrote:

Ewwwww. :)
I have one of those on the way, hopefully. I figure it's pretty much a mandatory piece of equipment when running a lathe.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 04:34:06 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Get some good and comfortable ears (mine are fat Peltors). Then you wear them most of the day, just for the peace and quiet.
With my biscuiter (AEG 650) I probably wear them or not, depending on whether they're sitting on the bench or back on the hook over the other side of the 'shop. I don't _need_ them, but I often find concentration easier with them on.
I have a radio on BBC Radio 4 when I'm in the workshop. The only thing that really makes me run screaming for earmuffs is when The Archers come on.
Andy Dingley wrote:

(Psssst. I even where mine when hand planing. Sometimes that shick shick shick noise gets to be too loud for my tender widdle wuss ears.)
Mike now your screwing with us aren't you

huh?
--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

I use hearing protection with *all* power tools. Always have.
Pays off, too. I have my hearing medically evaluated every few years. It's as good now at age 45 as it was when I was half this age.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 04:34:06 GMT, Mark & Juanita

I wear ear protection using a headphones type that hangs overhead on a wire and easy to reach and replace. There was a time I wasn't wearing it because I'd lay it down someone and forget where I put it. Watch the spelling of joiner, "jointer" is a different tool used to obtain a straight edge.
I find my pc 557 a lot quieter than the old Makita I was using. With the Makita I nearly always used hearing protection, with the pc - about 75% of the time. A couple slots into soft material - no, the rest of the time - yes. What I find interesting is that there in no mention of dust masks. I find that cutting MDF and particle cores can kick up a lot of fine dust that I don't like to breath in. Does any body use dust collection with their biscuit cutters?
Cheers, jeffo

Yup. Every time. Hearing protection? Some time.
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman

Yup!
An auto-switched Shop Vac, creating yet another hearing assault. <G>
Barry
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I think my drill is the only power tool I don't use hearing protection with. And even then - only the little Makita. When I drag out the Milwaukee Magnum...I put on the ears.
--
Chris Merrill
Charlie Self wrote:

Most of them are like that during the day. They get active in the wee hours, when the freaks are about.

You have NC beat 40:1 on tittie bars. You let your money magnets get completely naked too, which most states don't.

I'm glad we have some community standards here. :) I have nothing against those places, but I'm stodgy enough to think that children and debauchery shouldn't mix.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:40:51 -0500, Silvan

I bet you'd recognize a few of those freaks if you hung around there at that time of night. folks you thought were so straightlaced at the office....