Hearing protection

Page 3 of 3
-MIKE- wrote:

I think that is termed autowaterboarding.     snort,     jo4hn
Keep those coming :)
jo4hn wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:

Naturopathic medicine uses a teapot like device, called a Neti Pot, for that exact purpose.
B A R R Y wrote:

Of course, this same old dude used to gargle turpentine, too.
--

-MIKE-

Lowell Holmes wrote:
... snip

Ask older folks about hatchets and youngsters.
i.e., the answer is "yes". My grandparents spoke of several people their age who had amputated their own fingers while chopping kindling, sticks, or other items.

Not something for the woodworker, but the company I work for makes the communications gear that football coaches use on the sidelines. It's basically a full-duplex two way radio system (with a wired intercom interface). While not intended as hearing protection, one of the markets for a similar system is heavy construction, where hands-free communications is the primary need. I've suggested adding active noise cancellation but current headphones don't allow it.

There are a number of products on the market that allow you to hear normal level noise but block louder noises.
If you are a subscriber to Fine Woodworking's website, you can view this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdf/011189066.pdf
Do you prefer muffs or plugs? Here's a basic earmuff that attenuates loud noises but lets conversation through: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pI918&cat=1,42207
Here's an over the ear plug option: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Here is a plug that reduces volume but lets conversation through http://www.hearinghealthhouse.com/product_info.php?cPath%&products_id &osCsid02d4a1f1212046142d2c6b9e30dab6
Jim Weisgram wrote:

http://www.hearinghealthhouse.com/product_info.php?cPath%&products_id &osCsid02d4a1f1212046142d2c6b9e30dab6
That design has been aggressively marketed to musicians.
Regular foam plugs are a musician's worst case scenario. Since they don't cut out all frequencies equally, leaving you with a muffled sound, all muddy and thuddy.
Those are designed to attenuate all frequencies evenly. In theory, it has the effect of turning the volume knob down, instead of going into the next room, which is what foam plugs sound like. :-)
If you can't find them or want a better price, check some music stores for the same product under different brand names.
As a drummer, I never have to look far for hearing protection. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Thank you for your post. The features (and price) of the earmuff above closely resembles one at Rochler, mentioned earlier. It looks appropriate for me. Thanks! -Bill