Hearing Protection

Page 3 of 4
Barry responds:

It's not wide open--we planted more than 60 trees about 10-17 years ago, there are three buildings, and it is not flat and smooth. We could probably bush hog half an acre at the back, but my wife has butterfly bushes and some shrubs there which are hard to mark out, so it combines a rotary rider and a rotary push.
Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
I don't remember the brand, but I use a pair sold at wal-mart in the sporting goods department for shooting. They are affordable ($10-$15), comfortable and work very well. I keep mine on a hook attached to my Dewalt thickness planer, as I wear them EVERY time I use it. I will somethime use them with other tools, especially if for a prolonged amount of time.
Joe in Denver my woodworking website: http://www.the-wildings.com/shop /

i've got a pair of those and a couple of others the idea being i'll just leave them at the machine. of course eventually they all end up some place far from the noise.
bob making sawdust in salem or.
Joe Wilding writes:

I've got several brands--the most comfortable, thus the most used, are a pair of AOSafety folding ear muffs. I try to always keep a set of muffs on the jointer, planer and table saw and near the router table as well. Emphasize the tools with universal motors, which are the noisiest. Wearing hearing protection all the time any power tool is in use is probably a good idea.
I've got several types of the "in your ear" kind, and find they do generally work a little better, but are something of a nuisance to get in and sometimes to keep in. They are also sometimes harder to FIND, so for two reasons, they're less likely to be used.
Wish I'd started wearing hearing protection 40 years or so ago. Now, any of the protectors are a stopgap to try to retain what hearing is left for as long as possible.
Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
One word, Peltor.
UA100

Don't limit yourself to muffs. Plugs are cheap, work with face shields and hard hats, and handy for hot, humid days. I keep some throwaways around just for the days when they are more comfortable and for visitors.
As for muffs, I like Peltor. I have some 29 and 31 dB NRR models that are comfy. I haven't seen a good set of muffs in home centers. Check gun shops, industrial supply houses (Grainger), and real tool stores. Our local BORGs only carry 21 dB models. Barry

I use Peltor muff-type protectors. Comfortable and effective. A bit pricy, but this is not an area where you should be trying to cut costs: there's only ten or fifteen dollars difference between the Peltors and the cheapo home-center protectors that block only 2/3 as much sound.

have
of
Consumer Reports recommended, and I tend to agree, that a belt/suspenders approach is best - muffs and plugs. The Howard Leight Orange plugs work very well. I find that spitting on them helps insert them in the ear. It grosses my wife out, though.
Then any muffs at the BORG will probably suffice.
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

Hey Buck,
Put them in your own ears... <bg>
--
Kenneth

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:05:49 -0500, Kenneth

Dang it! How about a Windex Alert notice before posting something like that? Do you know how hard it is to get iced tea off the monitor and out of the keyboard?
:-)
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

I can imagine. I like the orange bell-shaped plugs and use them inverted, wide side in. Since I sleep with them (Damned neighbor dogs), that way, my ears don't hurt in the morning. I sleep on my side so I found that the wide part made the outer part of my ear hurt when squished into a pillow for hours.
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

I never pack a suitcase without them either. I usually end up in a hotel with a bunch of conventioneers. Once I ended up in a Louisville Hotel which happened to be hosting the Kentucy State Funeral Director's convention. Thet're a lively crowd....
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:00:45 -0500, Buck Turgidson wrote:

Reminds me of a stay in a hotel that was housing the attendees of a Shriners convention. Too bad the funeral guys weren't there - while gathered in the hotel lounge, one of the Shriners dropped dead and fell backwards off his bar stool. His buddies covered him up with a table cloth, said a few words in his memory and continued pounding down their libations. I wasn't thirsty any longer...
-Doug
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

It grosses ME out. <G>
Barry
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
......and in reply I say!:

Hah! Fun ain't it?
[snip]
muffs and plugs. The Howard Leight Orange plugs work

That is called 'doing the Wolfowitz'..

sandman notes:

Is that new or regional or was mine regional? When we were kids, some wiseacres would wet down a finger and stick it into the ear of the unsuspecting victim at the desk in front of us. Known as a "wet Willie" at that time.
That was our idea of big time hell raising in school.
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
I still do that, the wet willie that is.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

This thread is already dead, but anyway, I put the foam inserts in as soon as I get into the shop. Then I put the Peltors on when I fire up the router, or the shop vac, etc. But not the table saw.

Maskman wrote:

the
I have

pair of