hearing loss

Page 4 of 4
Every commercial endeavor that falls under the control of OSHA has similar safety requirements to protect people's hands and other parts of the body. It amazes me that the guys who fall outside the realm of OSHA often don't take any safety precautions at all. I think they're crazy. Because of OSHA the company I work for has various workgroups of 50 to 200 people who have worked for years with no recordable OSHA injuries. Not permitting finger rings is part of the protection scheme.
Chris
dot gov

put your ring on a toe while your in the shop, your wearing, its hard to lose, and unless your wearing sandals by the time its a problem your foot is hurting anyways
in article ValMb.72526$Fg.20772@lakeread01, CP at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 1/11/04 3:46 PM:

guess he should have work a better fitting ring(I still cant see how it would catch, unless he tried really hard and jammed the thin edge of the ring in the teeth that you use to tighten which i have skinned a knuckle nicely on trying to slow down)
in article kGdMb.1128$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, Angelo Castellano posting at snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote on 1/11/04 7:07 AM:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:50:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I heard about wearing rings and hazards. Some shops just don't allow them. I'm 49 and had my hearing tested. I was surprised to hear my hearing is as good as a 20-year-old. I do wear earmuffs in the shop (some of the time) and when mowing the lawn. It would be nice if my eyes were as good as my ears. I use a jeweler's loupe to remove splinters.
"As good as a 20-year-old" really doesn't mean anything. When I was 20 I already had tinnitus.
What gets me are those kids cruising with 300+ amps pushing out bass in the confines of a shut up car. You know the ones -- the ones you can hear over your running table saw when they drive by. Can you imagine their hearing when they start griping about their kids' bad habits??

Jim K writes:

Mine started the year before I was 20.

I don't get upset out of consideration for the little turds who drive those things. But my youngest did tell me some time ago that a lot of them drive with ear plugs in.
Makes sense to them, I guess. I've got a small subwoofer on this computer that I hardly ever use. It is louder downstairs, thgouh the floor, than it is here, 3' away. Not an essential ingredient. I'd probably never use it if I hadn't paid extra for it for some reason I no longer recall.
Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.
Charlie Self wrote:

I've had tinnitus so long I don't remember not having it. Probably my late teens or early twenties. It's just gotten much worse lately.
Does the sound of your own voice make your ears ring? Sometimes mine does.
Bought a set of Leight muffs last week. 31 dB noise reduction. Though I have a box of plugs here I find it inconvenient when I may run a machine once or twice an hour. Plugs in, plugs out, plugs in ..... irritates the hell out of my ears.
Plus the muff keeps my ears nice and warm when it gets below freezing.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Hearing is not only lost to loud noise exposure, but to illness. That's were a part of mine went.
Sitting in front of some Marshall stacks at concerts in younger days didn't help.
As for the power tools, yikes! The planer, router, vac, TS, jointer, well the list can go on......
Today, it's hearing protect or no tool use. No concerts anymore since the people I'd go to see are either dead or no longer perform. Not to mention I'm not interested in music that loud. And illness, well, that's strictly chance.
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:05:56 -0500, "Angelo Castellano