Heads-up on FWW circa 9/09

Page 1 of 2
In case you haven't seen it, Taunton/Fine Wood Working magazine has hit a home run with their latest on the newsstands: "How to Design Furniture - From Classic to Contemporary".
Chock full of valuable information - from ergonomics, to classic moldings and how they're used, to tips on design drawing, scaling from photos, drafting, along with a concise analysis of the elements that make up the various styles of furniture. Also included - a five page article by Tim Killen on using Sketchup for designing and creating plans for woodworking projects, with lots of examples.
Basically, a must have for woodworkers who design and build their own furniture, or aspire to do so, and guaranteed to be a treasured *resource* ... worth many times the $8.99 retail price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

It must be selling pretty well, I got the last copy at my local B & N. My first impression was the same--definitely worth the cover price.
Bill

Yeah. It was nice to see a FWW that made me want to read it cover to cover, instead of looking at the pretty pictures and throwing it on the pile.
Some of our resident genius political scientologists would do well to get a copy and apply their prodigious intellects to something other than bullshit.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

Just some of them, or all of them? Both the left and right wingers? Ok, I'd agree with that. :-)
Swingman wrote:

Swingman, is this maybe the November/December issue? I have the September/October issue that came out in, what, June and it's main claim to fame are some articles on Sam Maloof. If Nov/December, I'm anxiously awaiting that -- sounds like a great read.

Rob Leatham

I don't believe so, as I subscribe to FWW magazine. I think it's a "special publication" by FWW. You can probably locate it at your local WoodCraft, or Borders or B & N bookstore.
Bill

Bill wrote:

Thanks -- I'll look for it. Sounds like a really good resource.

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Mark,
Bill is correct ... it is "Best of Fine Wood Working" issue that was indeed available on the magazine rack at B&N last evening.
Track it down, you'll enjoy it ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

What issue # is this? I went online and Sept/Oct #207 and 206 don't seem to have that title in the index...
I used to subscribe, have about 5 years of issues starting at #1. I've been thinking of subscribing again... $35 for 6 issues.. not too bad I guess but not too cheap either... I'd go out and buy this issue but I wouldn't have a clue who carries it. The few times I look at magazine racks, Fine Woodworking is nowhere in site... Never listed in those magazine subscription lists the school kids are always pimping either.
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

It's not one of the monthly pubs. It has a notation on the top that says "The Best of" FWW. ISSN 1936-8127.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Jack Stein wrote:

It was at Barnes & Nobles in the last few weeks.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

I gather that must be a special publication not a monthly issue; I've been subscribed since about V1,N3 or so w/ only a couple breaks and I have not received such an issue.

Available online as well: http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/how-to-design-furniture-017013.html

Yes, it's a special publication. I am about half-way finished. It's not a complete class in furniture design but it has improved my eye, making me think about "form" more critically. One of the "revelations" is that a woodworker really is, or at least can be, an artist--as well as an engineer.
It's no surprise that it's about "form and function"--but those concepts are deeper than they may appear at first. Have you considered how the arms of a chair can be "inviting" (I don't think I've ever given it much thought)? How about the shape of the feet of a piece protecting them from shoes and vacuum cleaners and such (I hadn't thought about that either)? If there's a shortcoming it's that it doesn't seem to go much deeper than pointing out some examples like that. It suggests looking at pictures of old furniture for ideas. One of the articles I haven't read yet in on using some free design technology. I'm looking forward to reading that one. The publication will make you deal with the question: do you want to build or think (or are they the same thing?) : )
Bill
Bill wrote:

... snip

Is this an anthology of previously published FWW articles? i.e., if one has a fairly complete collection from the early 90's to now, could one find all of the pieces in this, or is it something more unique?

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote: \

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, this is a unique presentation. I've been reading FWW for almost 20 years and I don't recall these particular articles.
That is not to say that some of the material has not been covered before, but not in this particular format.
Get it ... it's more than worth the price (US$8.99). FWIW, it has an "Display until October 14, 2009" next to the price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

I'll definitely do that -- it sounds like something I can really use.

Rob Leatham
Swingman wrote:

OK, I just ordered it online, thanks!
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Jack, can you provide the link -- I'm not finding it using that title nor searching on things from Taunton.

Rob Leatham

Available online as well: http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/how-to-design-furniture - 017013.html