Heads up, $500 Unisaw

Just wanted to make note of an ad I saw on baltimore.craigslist.org

is 3 phase but $500...

Usual disclaimer, not relation to seller, etc. I just didn't want anyone looking for a saw in this area to miss it.

Reply to
Larry W

Looks like the same machine listed tonight at $400. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Sorry, I should have added the link. Marc

> Looks like the same machine listed tonight at $400.

Reply to
marc rosen

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

If that thing were around here, I'd seriously consider it, even with needing to replace the motor.

My old Delta contractor from 1972 decided to not start last night, and if the motor's busted, I don't know what I'm going to do...

-Nathan

Reply to
nhurst

Here's one in York, PA.... scroll to the bottom. You'll have to bid on it.

. The bidding looks good right now.

There's a couple of Powermatics in Catawissa, PA:

, also at a good price right now.

This irsauction.com site, above, is pretty good. Just keep an eye out for when there's a sale near you.

And keep an eye out for one, near you, on this site.

bought a Unisaw (at Fort Polk, LA) for $150 from this military surplus auction.

I often check out these 2 sites, above, for not only woodworking tools, but for upholstery related items, also.

Do a search for your individual State's "Surplus Property". Often, there are tools on these sites, also. I bought 4 of my industrial sewing machines from my State's (LA) surplus auction for $50 & $75 each.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Wow, sure are a lot of Cabinet Shops closing in the US. Wonder how many jobs are going along with these shops? Thanks Obama!

Reply to
evodawg

When the motor on my Delta bandsaw crapped out, I did a fair amount of research and bought a replacement from Grizzly. Wired it for 220 and after a year it is going strong. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

if the motor's busted, I don't know what I'm going to do...

Grainger has a replacement, 5K691.

2 HP/3,450 RPM/56H/Manual O/L.

Worked for me.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think this one from a few weeks ago tops this one... I posted a PDF of the ad to ABPW.

Delta Unisaw 10", 220V, Single Phase - $300 (Katonah, NY) Reply to: snipped-for-privacy@craigslist.org Date: 2009-06-24, 2:53PM EDT Slightly used Unisaw with 52" Beismyer fence system, mobile base, and out feed table (not attached yet). Pick-up only. Image is of a comparable saw. $300 OBO Model 36-843 with the 50" Commercial Biesemeyer Fence System

BTW, it was gone within 2 hours... not me, I had no use for it as I've had a cabinet saw for quite a while now.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

(snip)> .

The only problem with IRS auctions is getting the stuff home. I talked to these critters a couple of years ago and they offer nothing in the way of expediting the shipping. You need to have your shipper pallet and pack it. Then, for us'n who work out of the garage, you need to have a way to get it off the truck and from the curb to the shop.

Larry

Reply to
TD

Agreed. IRS Auctions only sells the items, not supply any shipping business. The site does provide links to shippers, independent of IRS Auctions, or you can hire your own. Otherwise, you can go pick-up the item yourself, if near enough. That was my reason for giving that particular link, near Baltimore. For myself, I watch the IRS site for sales near me (Louisiana), so I can more easily go pick-up the items myself. Many sale locations may be too far for everyone, so I noted the State and military auctions, also, which may be more accommodating than the IRS sales to anyone reading the post.

who work out of the garage, >you need to have a way to get it off the truck= and from the curb to the shop.

It is my understanding that the hired shipper can usually accommodate loading an item. Once the shipment is loaded, it is the job of the shipping firm to unload their cargo. Liability disallows a non- employed individual (of the shipping firm) to "work" on the shipping truck, whether during pick-up or during delivery.

For self-pickup, IRS Auctions supplies a phone number for a contact person at the item's location. The contact person can let one know if loading assistance is available and if there is a fee for the assistance. For all my IRS purchases, where I needed help loading, there have been site personell that has loaded the items for no fee, without my assistance. Beyond that, it was my responsibility to secure or tie-down the load. This has been the case with my purchases from my State's auction and from Fort Polk (the military auction).

For an IRS auction, wait for a sale near you.... avoid all that shipping crap. Check your State's surplus auctions and the military auctions near you. Sales near you allow for convenient inspecting of an item, also. Sooner or later a good deal will come your way.

A note about the military auctions: In January, their opening (minimum) bid, for all items, went from $50 to $150. Bummer!

Our State auctions are not online. We have to go to the auction site, in person, to bid. But there is a website to view pictures of some items and a booklet listing all items. I would think other States may have similar websites.

I just checked.... Since yesterday (my previous post), 3 more saws have been added onto the military list.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny