Head Board

I am relatively new to woodworking and wanted to build a headboard for a bed. Would anyone recommend attaching it to the bed frame that came with the mattress? There is a plate at the head that makes it look like that is what you are supposed to do...
Thanks!
Tim

You could do that but keep in mind that it may not be too sturdy. It may even be wobbly. IMO, If you want to make a headboard, just go for the whole bed. Personally, I think adding the side rails are easier than making the headboard. If you choose to make the whole bed, the footer (or footboard) is just a smaller version of the headboard. If you don't want a footer, than don't make one and go for the platform bed look which is close to what you'd have with just the headboard.

We had a couple of king-sized and queen-sized beds over the years with the headboard attached to the metal bed frame. Never had nor wanted a bed with a foot board.
Never any problem with the headboard attached to the frame but...
We stumbled on one helluva deal at a scratch & dent sale at a quality furniture store. More to the point it was JUST the style we'd been looking for.
As its design and our placement of the bed in the room lent itself to hanging on the wall, rather than mess around connecting it to the bed frame, I just made a French cleat for it and hung it on the wall.
It's the best system we've found to date. No problem sliding the bed out from the wall for vacuuming, changing sheets, etc. Give it some thought.

I'll concur with this. Most mattresses are sold with a pretty lightweight 'Hollywood frame". If you are going to spend the time to build the headboard, why not do the rest? The sides are pretty straight forward. The joints are readily available hardware (Rocklers and others). The footboard is an extension of the headboard design.
RonB
Uninvestor wrote:
> I am relatively new to woodworking and wanted to build a headboard for a > bed. Would anyone recommend attaching it to the bed frame that came with > the mattress? There is a plate at the head that makes it look like that is > what you are supposed to do...
Go spend a night at your local "No Tell Motel".
Think you will find the headboard attached to the wall, not the box spring/mattress rolling metal frame.
Lew

That is the way mine mounts. Two bolts on each side. Use care and don't mount an overly heavy headboard since there is a lot of leverage on those plates. Mine sits about 1/2" off the floor and is supported by the frame completely.

I agree with the previous posts. No one is likely recommend that you bolt it to the flimsy frame that most beds have. However, there is nothing to stop you from doing that if you wish to. Just use some bolts sized to fit through the openings in the plate. You may need washers and locknuts to hopefully keep it from coming loose. The bolts would also be long enough to pass through the headboard holding it in place. After you decide you don't like it then you can build something better.
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 21:22:03 -0400, "Uninvestor"

I agree with most of the others, you don't have to mount it to the frame, but if you do, a friend of mine made a heavy headboard and wanted it mounted to the frame so he used some specialized casters that rolled on the floor as a support. I don't know specifically which ones he used, but they were similar to these:
http://www.castercity.com/specific-app-casters/gate-casters.htm
Now the whole bed rolls without a problem and it isn't a great strain where the headboard bolts to the frame.