HDPE plastic for a shaper fence

Need to replace the fence halves on my PM shaper. Considering using some 1" thick HDPE plastic instead of MDF or a typical hardwood. My question is if the plastic will be "stiff" enough so as to not flex in the unsupported end sections. Unlike a router table fence that supports the face material along its entire length. A typical shaper fence only supports about 3/4 of the face length. Hopefully my question is clear enough to understand. Thanks jsawduste
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:41:51 -0500, "JPEracing"

If I'm reading this right, the work will be supported by some percentage of the fence, including the material on both sides of the bit. I wouldn't worry about the ends of the fences, except those that are closest to the bit.
Barry
"JPEracing" writes:

When you get pricing on 1" HDPE, better be sitting down.
Let me suggest an alternate.
Build a fence from 13 ply (3/4") cabinet ply, then cover with a piece of 1/4" UHMWPE, not HDPE, by attaching with C'Sunk 1/4-20 flat head bolts.
I'd use S/S, but that's all I work with so it is easy for me.
HTH
--
Lew

JPEracing wrote:

If it were my shaper, I think I'd use wooden fence sections with HDPE faces - to provide the stiffness of wood in combination with the "lubricity" of the HDPE.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

@comcast.net says...