HD & Seal Coat

To: Subject: Re: Contact Us - Product/Project Information - Paint (KMM2170007C0KM) From: "homedepot.com" Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:25:26 -0400

Hello Valued Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail to homedepot.com!

Home Depot's product selection may vary in different regions of the country. This is due to regional climate and seasonal differences. We also partner with local manufacturers whenever possible to bring you the broadest selection available. As a result, you may find that a particular product is carried in one Home Depot, but not in another.

The Zinsser seal coat may be available through special order. Since special orders are placed through our stores, please contact an associate in the Paint department at your local Home Depot. They'll be happy to provide you with more information about availability and pricing.

To make certain that you get the most accurate information on special orders, be sure to stop by your local Home Depot between the hours of

8 AM and 4 PM. This will ensure that our associates are able to contact the supplier during the supplier's office hours and provide you with all the answers to your questions from pricing to the estimated shipping time involved.

For your convenience, your local store information is as follows:

"Oxnard-Relo" Home Depot #1040

401 W. Esplanade Drive Oxnard, CA 93030 (805)983-0653 We appreciate the opportunity to assist you and hope that you enjoy shopping at The Home Depot. If you have any other questions about how our associates can help with your home improvement projects or product inquiries, please visit us again at homedepot.com!

Sincerely,

Will homedepot.com

Original Message Follows:

------------------------ "Contact Us" Form Message From: Submitted: Mon, Oct 13, 2003 10:36:03 AM Email: snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net Phone: 805-983-1825 Zip/Postal Code: 93030 Subject: Product/Project Information - Paint Store Locator: Service Number: Comments: Why doesn't Oxnard, CA store carry Zinsser Seal Coat? Newsgroup posts indicate others carry it.

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Bob, Nice letter and 'nice' corporate response . . . .

However, NOT what I have found in REALITY !!

Not only is 'Special Order' in another language, unknown to the several that I have dealt with, but there can't even order REPLENISHMENT STOCK for what they have on the shelves !!

What I have found {note - this seems to be a recent phenomena}is that although there are truck shipments on a regular basis . . . NO ONE knows what they contain. If a 'Sales Associate' puts in for a 'Stock Reorder', or if a Vendor's on-site man does the same thing, the order is REJECTED or IGNORED at Corporate. The only time these orders are filled is when the ENTIRE REGION is low {or out} and Corporate issues the order. This I heard from a finish vender when I was talking to him about getting a new product.

I remember looking for some 'Stick-On' numbers & letters for a boat registration. They were out of a few & very low on others. 'We'll get some more next week". Needless to say, never happened. I got what I needed at Lowes, but checked the HD supply every so often. I think it took over

6-months !!

It used to be that a 'special order' of an Accessory for my Ryobi BT3000 Table Saw {I LIKE IT - - FORGET the 'flames'}was a simple matter of a day to a week. Now . . . when you ask about 'Special Orders' of ANYTHING . . . all you get is a shrug and, "We don't do that". The other 'kicker' is when you go in to purchase more of something you've gotten before, and even if you have a sample in hand you get the response, "We never had that here". That's when I really explode !!

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop [PS: I'm going to copy the Corporate Response you got. Next time I need to 'Special Order' something I'll take it with me to the 'manager du jour' office and watch the fun]

Reply to
Ron Magen

With increasing MBA "management" of corporate America, this type of inventory _management_ is getting worse, and more irrational, as time goes by. Case in point:

Favorite shop attire is shorts and short sleeve T-shirts ... "Pluma" brand from Sam's Club to be exact. I've bought these tough, long wearing, inexpensive short sleeve T-shirts by the dozen down through the years.

Suddenly last summer, some yo yo at Sam's decided that short sleeve T's are "seasonal" items and should no longer be stocked past August, in favor of the long sleeve model.

No consideration given that this is South Texas, that there will be likely less than one month of weather cold enough to consider wearing anything but short sleeves throughout the year, and that the stores are overstocked with an item that is demonstrably NOT selling in this climate.

... so much for the hope that "corporate greed" would occasionally override "corporate stupidity" to the benefit of the consumer.

Reply to
Swingman

Why not simply WALK into a decent paint store and buy it?

Do you always torture yourself?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

'Swing', Reminds me of my stint with 'Uncle'.

At a specific date; 'Winter Blues' are the regulation 'Uniform of the Day'. The fact that you are transiting from San Francisco to Clark AB, Philippines makes no nevermind.

Ditto for the year I spent in tech school, in Biloxi, Mississippi. A lot of people don't know it gets cold enough for the rain puddles to freeze . . . especially when you are formed up to march a mile to class at 0400 !!. A bunch of us went to Supply to try and get Liners for the light field jackets; "This Region is not eligible for that issue".

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop [PS: I now wear shorts & 'T' shirts {changing to Hawaiian shirt & Black Pearl erring if we go out for dinner}till I can't feel my knees]

that there will be likely

Reply to
Ron Magen

Ah yes, corporate America, ya gotta love it.

Seems the bean counter types that set inventory policy at corporate level all seem to play the 80-20 game.

I'm not much for the 80% stuff myself.

As far as your T-Shirt problem, do you have the staple of SoCal shopping, the $2, T-Shirt store?

About twice a year, I drop $20 for T-Shirts for use at the old boat yard.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett