HD Sale - Bessey's Excluded?

Page 1 of 2
Visited my HD tonight to round out my K-Body collection. I asked to make sure these would qualify for the sale, and got a "don't think so" response. I was pretty sure this was just local ignorance, but the cashier called the 800 number on the sales form, read off the SKU numbers from the clamps and was told that these were NOT on the authorized list. I passed on the purchase.
Anyone have written assurance or other insight that these do indeed qualify?
Paul
I know you're just being considerate to the HD guys, but why do you ask these questions? I find that 99% of the time if you just go to the checkout and act confident that the things are included in these promotions that they don't question you and go ahead and give you the discount. When you ask the questions, you're just about demanding to be told "sorry".
Mike

Understood - but in this case it's not a "sale" at the checkout, just a rebate form you fill in and wait a month or two for the credit check. If the SKU's don't qualify, no money comes back!
Paul

ah, I see, that makes more sense.
It's interesting as you say, then, because several others as I'm sure you've seen have been buying k-bodies with the intent of rebating the purchases. Maybe HD is going to end up with as many ppl pissed at them as Woodcraft hehe.
(by the way, I got my 2nd set of 12 cabinet masters today at the discounted prices. clamps are good things)

There may be a BUNCH of returns to HD if those rebates are not honored..
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Thought this was a mail-in rebate promotion. If so, you can be assured that the "fulfillment house" knows all of the rules and if you send in-eligible tags, you are out of luck. In many cases, if you have not performed the right incantations, drawn the correct glyphs on the envelope seal, or even smudged one of the required items, you have a good chance of having your request rejected by these "fulfillment houses". The OP was wise in asking before being disappointed by a highly personal form letter or even worse by absolutely no answer ever.

In some cases, even if you have. DAMHIKT.

Mail in rebates are scams, which really should be outlawed.

The "fulfillment houses" compete for business on the basis of how small a percentage of rebate submittals are paid. As I understand it, to be competitive in that field right now you have to be promising a number in the 10% range.
Don't ever decide to buy something based on the after-rebate price, unless it's an immediate "in store" rebate.
John

My wife is a rebate freak! She has rebates sent in all the time. Rarely is there a time when she does not have at least one rebate on the waiting list! She collects 100% too. Make sure you cross you "T"'s, dot your "I"'s and all will be ok. Office Max refused a rebate once, and out of principle she hounded them 'till they paid up! The store assured us the rebate had been extended, the date on the form was passed. The store manager knows her on a first name basis! A got a lovely lady for a wife, just don't piss her off! Greg
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:20:41 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Why? <G>
I've always been happy with mail-in rebates. I don't buy things simply because of sales or rebates, but I'll take a rebate any day over full price.
Not to mention the mail-in rebate, as well as the purchase itself, is quite voluntary. Vote with your wallet.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

What bothers me is the unfairness, the "two-faced" attitude towards the money. They can *charge* my account in picoseconds, but to *return* my money involves a lengthy and useless process -- no additional data is collected beyond what could be known at point of sale. Typically the fulfillment house is located in Lake Woebegon, Minnesota, and is apparently accessable only via arthritic USPS burros. And Ole and Lena only work there a couple days a week.
The rebate process is NOT about saving me money, it's a process *calculated* to let the company keep my money. I've been burned on rebates several times. In fact there's a piece of computer kit here by my feet where the company managed to keep my rebate. It was only when I got to the cash register I found out the "Sale Price" wasn't *really* the sale price. It *should* have been labeled, "Sale Price After Rebate." I wish I'd followed my instincts and left it there at the register. In all probability it is the last item from that manufacturer I'll ever buy. Their sales & marketing guys were happy because I showed up in the "Successfully Avoided Paying Rebate" column, but that's very short-term thinking for them. They're unlikely to ever see anything from me in the sales column ever again. Besides, there's the word of mouth that gets around, like this:
"I own uninterruptable power supplies (UPS) from both APC and Belkin. In the future, if the choice is between APC and Belkin, I'll buy Belkin every time. Belkin works better for me."
:-)
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

P.S. This is 100% true. IMO Belkin is a better product. Besides that, the "Sale Price" was the "Sale Price."
in

Well, Mark hit on one aspect, the false advertising (where it's not disclosed the advertised price includes the rebate until you reach the register - CompUSA in particular is egregiously guilty of this one). But to me the damning part is the fact that the fullfillment houses intentionally set things up to avoid paying rebates. In my mind the rebate is a form of contract, in which the fullfillment houses are attempting to conciously avoid meeting their obligation. In essence, that's fraud.

Well, I'm the same way. I send them in if it's more than a couple of bucks, and treat it as a pleasant surprise if something comes back. But when I'm deciding what product to buy, I base it on the register price, not the rebated price. John
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:20:41 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

My favorite "scam" is this one:
Every year I buy Turbo Tax to do my income taxes. Every year for the last 5, Intuit has offered a mail in rebate on Quicken, when purchased with Turbo Tax. I wait for Staples, Comp USA, etc... to put Turbo Tax on sale in January, which _always_ happens. When it does, I get the latest version of Quicken *free* each year, and never spend more than about $20 for Turbo Tax.
Why does Intuit do this? For my name and address, of course! <G>
Each November and December, I get direct offers from Intuit to purchase both apps for $40-50. I'm sure some folks take advantage of the convenient offer, but I simply wait for this year's sale.
I have to wait for the $20 or $30 rebate check, but that's not a big deal in my book.
Barry
Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... ...

No, and it's smart, too. These sorts of offers seem very commonly available for software. I always keep antennae up for them.
Abe
--
A numeral would be more efficient than spelling out "ONE" in an email
addy, don't you think?

... after Intuit's "product activation" fiasco, my business is going to TaxCut.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says... ...

Mine already did. TaxCut isn't quite as good as TurboTax, but at least you're not *paying* to have spyware surreptitiously installed on your computer. I suspect with the added business TaxCut is now getting, the quality gap will close pretty quickly, and I'm happy to support that convergence. Glad to hear you are too.
Abe
--
A numeral would be more efficient than spelling out "ONE" in an email
addy, don't you think?
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:01:01 GMT, Mark & Juanita

My business went to them last year and it isn't going back. Tax Cut's user interface isn't quite as slick as TurboTax, but it does the job, costs less and doesn't install a bunch of unwanted junk all over my system. I was a TurboTax user for many years until last year, but no more.
Throw mud on your placas de registro. Tell your 'mano to drive around the lot real slow like, and when he sees you, pick you up mucho rapido, in front of the doors. You boost the clamps vato, then run for the door, and jump in your ride. Make for the 'hood. It helps if you have room in your garage for the car for a few days.Maybe put the Radial arm and lathe on the porch, you know?

This past Sunday, HD in NE Mesa, AZ had a display board just inside the entrance with 10-15 sample items wired to it, promoting the handtool sale/gift card rebate deal. One of these items is a $37.95 BESSEY clamp. Not needing a Bessey clamp...(what am I saying, I can always use another clamp)...not currently in the market for a Bessey clamp (per SWMBO), I passed by without paying much attention. I am pretty sure that is was a K-body model. I'll be over that way tomorrow as it is next to a "Michael's" craft store and I am informed we ARE in the market for something they stock there. I'll kill some time at HD and check if that was a K-body.
Is it possible the HD has some items "authorized" for this promotion in some areas/zones/regions but not in other ones?
DexAZ