hazmat team needed

God help me, I spilled a quart of epoxy resin on some of my plastic tools in the truck. Laquer thinner will eat up the plastic, so I'm up for suggestions as to handling the spill.
On 17 Dec 2004 00:46:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

I've thinned epoxy with alcohol to make a brushable finishing resin. Try some on a small area and see how it works removing the resin spill.
Barry
Hi, Got any Xylene? It's what I use for most epoxy-related stuff. Lewis

On 17 Dec 2004 00:46:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

call your insurance agent and tell him you need replacement tools??
(BUB 209) wrote:

Vinegar will clean uncatalyzed resin. So will denatured alcohol.
On 17 Dec 2004 00:46:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

if it's just the resin and not the mixed two part adhesive soap and water should do it.

Great, I'll try it before anything else. That toluene smells like a bad dream, though I appreciate the suggestion.
White vinegar. Cheap, nontoxic (a little smelly) and works great!

Thanks, it did a great job, especially on my Bosch jig saw case, which had a quarter inch thick layer of the stuff on it. I put the scraped-up epoxy in a strainer over a coffee can, let's see if it runs through that just like it ran out of the tub in the truck.
"BUB 209" wrote in message

Hints from HeloisewRecster
Add some baking soda to the white vinegar for some jobs. White vinegar also works well to freshen up those smelly drains. Pour a cup of baking soda down first, then follow with white vinegar. Lots of uses for this mixture ... just be careful of the foaming action, and DON'T use it with Clorox, or any chlorine bleach.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Don't mix chlorine and vinegar? Never heard that. Chlorine and ammonia is well known, but I never heard of any problem with white vinegar.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Well, you've heard it now. Trust me, you will not like what it does to your nose if you mix the two.
DAMHIK. We used a vinegar/chlorine mix to disinfect our water wells when I was a kid (vinegar _followed_ by chlorine, not mixed together) ... and guess who was playing the mad scientist at the time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

don't mix chlorine bleach with any Oxidizing agent, or you get cl2 gas, the only thing you you can really safely mix with chlorine bleach is dish soap like joy, I don't know how the various additive react with it, but Joy is safe