Have you used a sanding table?

Page 1 of 2
I am continuing to attack dust in my basement workshop. My current target is my random orbital sander. The filter attached to the sander gets some of the dust but a bunch more spinsoff uncollected.
In the book "Controlling Dust in the Workshop" by Rick Peters he talks about building a downdraft sanding table (pegboard over a box with a dust collector attached. He also talks about a shopmade air cleaner placed near the sanding process. I kind of like the sanding table idea but before I spend the time making one I'd like to hear some feedback from those of you who might have used them.
TIA.
Dick Snyder
I believe Tom Plamann likes his. His own design. Take a look here and all through his site. Truly, time well spent looking at his site.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/thingsidointheshopiv/view.nhtml?profile=thingsidointheshopiv&UID 020

From the looks of Tom's shop, I would guess that he is excessive compulsive (and well off).

Tom says he uses a shop vac on the table. It must be huge. The combined cross sectional area of 152 3/4" holes is equal to an 9" pipe!
Bob
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:19:07 GMT, "Bob"

Most of those holes are blocked off by the carcase you're working on, if it lies flat. If you have a problem with too many holes, just cover them with newspaper where you don't need them.
--
Smert' spamionam

Duh, I didn't think of that. Now I understand the design much better! Thanks Andy!
Bob

My Dewalt 5" ROS has a port (1"?) that the bag detaches from (can someone tell me what the bag is good for, anyway). I bought a special hose that attaches directly to my ShopVac canister and connects to the port. I find that it works pretty well.
todd
Can you tell me where you got the special hose? I tried to hook up my narrow diameter shop vac hose to my PC sander but it doesn't quite fit. It would be nice to have the right hose rather than use duct tape or some other cobbled up solution all the time.
Dick Snyder

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:06:32 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
If you can't find THE hose, Lowes has an interesting "stepped" vac fitting that ia supposed to fit most tools, one way or the other.. *g*

Thanks. I heard from the poster (Todd Fatheree) that it was for sale at Rockler. Sho nuff. It is buried on the webpage that describes the PC sander that I have (333).
Dick Snyder

Have you tried a shop vac hookup instead of the filter? My setup seems to get 99% of the dust and the sandpaper seems to last longer.
I built my "Sanding Table" years ago and yes I did use pegboard over a box (about 3 inches tall)... with dowels (plenty of them) raising up from the bottom of the box to support the pegboard...
It works...BUT I have had to "slightly" enlarge the holes in the pegboard as over time they clogged up ...
My Table is almost 2x4 foot.. and is attached to a workbench with hinges that allows me to swing it up and use it very quickly...BUT I have to crawl under it to atach the 4 inch Flex hose from the DC when I want to use it... somewhat of a pain ...
BUT ......IT IS WAY TWO LARGE... suffers from lack of suction near the edges.. One of these days I will make another ...smaller 2x2 maybe ...and just store it on the floor next to the workbench.. DC port would be on the side (not the bottom) ...
Bob Griffiths
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:45:24 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

I built one the same as Bob 2 x 4 foot and agree with him it is to large, I did put the DC port on one end though and it works well at that end. I tend to throw a piece of plastic over it to block the holes where I am not working and that improve suction. I should just rebuild it smaller.
Rick
Bob G. wrote:

Was that 1/8" or 1/4" pegboard?
Bob
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:19:49 GMT, "Bob"

Bob Griffiths
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:31:28 -0500, Bob G.

energy when i had to sand a bunch of small drawer fronts... I made the fitting for my shop vac, figuring that I'd convert it to the DC when I got one.. It works so well with the shop vac that I haven't bothered converting it..
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:45:24 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:45:24 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

Power sanding machines need power dust collection IMHO.
Sanding tables are great if you have space, otherwise just make a table-top box that can be stored away. It only needs to be 3-4" deep. Put a hanging hook on it and store it hung up, as the top is fragile and doesn't like getting thumped.
The top shouldn't be pegboard. It's too soft, too easily damaged, and the holes aren't big enough. I've seen one table made with laser-cut MDF (radiator screening) that was neat, but for the rest of us just bite the bullet and drill those holes yourself. Use a hexagonal grid for best void / strength ratio, or an Archimedean spiral if you want it to look prettier.
My box is cheap plywood, with a drilled MDF top. There's a hole in one side where the DC hose plugs in. The top is 10mm MDF laid over an egg-crate construction of 6mm MDF - typical torsion box construction. Drill big holes through all the egg-crate webs to let the dust flow through.
In use I feed it with 2" hose into a home-made cyclone powered by a workshop vacuum cleaner.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:45:24 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

is made from MDF and has a door that opens from the side. It uses three furnace filters in series, a squirrel type 1/4 HP fan motor, rubber locking casters, and a convenient electrical outlet. The top is pegboard. I sealed the door with weather stripping. This downdraft table can be used as a sanding table and/or shop air filter. It works exceptionally well at clearing the air of airborne dust. I've even used it to dry items.

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? This sounds like an interesting dual purpose device.
Dick Snyder
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:45:24 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

Have you ever tried a Shop Vac hose on the sander? I use one with a HEPA filter equipped vac, and virtually nothing escapes. It's great!
Auto switches are available for ~$20 that'll turn the vacuum on and off as you use the sander.
Barry