Have mMy 1st Lathe -Now Which Tools?

Well, I finally have my 1st lathe up and running. It's the 12" x 36" HF model with the cast iron bed. I had already purchased (Christmas present) the lower end model with the square tubing base, but hadn't opened the box yet. Last night I got a 20% off single item coupon in my email and they had the cast iron one on sale for $200, so I got it for $160. Seems pretty decent, but it howls a good bit at low speed (500 RPM). At higher speeds it quiets down considerably.

Since I've never had (or used) a lathe before, I have no turning tools. Should I get some kind of set or is it better and more economical to buy individual tools? Like a couple of bowl gouges, skew chisels, parting tool. What's a good basic set to start out with, in what sizes?

My main purpose in getting the lathe was to turn bowls and vases, but I'm sure I night find other projects as well.

I'm also going to the bookstore to find a good basic turning book. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-jj

Reply to
JJ

JJ:

Come on over to the woodturning newsgroup and you will find a LOT of info on this and other burning issues facing all that spin wood.

In fact, this very question is being worked over pretty good by someone in Austin that has just gotten himself set up and is wondering about tools.

Try this:

this group is to table saws, there is more information about woodturning, sharpening, finishes, etc. than you can imagine.

Just Google search any woodturning topic on that newsgroup and you will be surprised at how much info is in the group and on the archives. I know I have been there since '97 - '98 myself.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41