Have I lost it - table saw technique

Ok - I think I've lost it. I just noticed that ripped boards have a concave curve on the ripped side. Boards over 18" long are ~ 1/64" narrower in the middle than the ends. Feather board doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe a crooked feed? Mechanical adjustments to the saw? Fence seems square enough to the blade - no burn marks - just a clean concave cut. Ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
lucky4fingers

How strait is the side (of the board) against the fence?

Reply to
CW

It could be your technique or the saw needing a tune-up as you suspect. It could also be case hardened boards. Try running a piece of ply or MDF thru the saw and see if you still have the problem. If not then it's likely that the wood is case hardened.

Art

Reply to
WoodButcher

Using a splitter? If so, adjust it slightly toward the fence.

Morris Dovey

Check that your fence is straight. My Bies fence has plywood faces with T-molding inserted into a routed groove. The pressure of the molding is enough to make the edges of the ply stick out slightly more than the main face. Eventually I'm going to deal with this (probably have to peel off the original faces, trim it, then put laminate on there) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape on a rip that was 1/64th off over

18", as long as it didn't get appreciably worse over longer width's. Definitely go through full tablesaw alignment procedure, and don't discount the possibility of your boards being slightly bowed _before_ you ripped them.
Reply to
Larry W

My saw did this when the splitter was out of line a bit.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Well it is a problem when you want to edge glue without using the jointer. Turns out the alumimum fence face was bent. Exchanging it with the other side solved the problem.

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in news:euo3fa$eii$ snipped-for-privacy@chessie.cirr.com:

Reply to
lucky4fingers