Have a use for 1x1x36 pieces of poplar?

Or a plant stand for potted plants or for starting seedlings.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I just thought of another one. Risers for a model railroad.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There's a local plant that throws away a seemingly limitless supply of

3 ft long pieces of poplar that are 1 inch by 1 inch. Any ideas what a good use for these would be? My buddy uses some for spacing freshcut lumber for drying.

Can anyone think of any other use other than kindling?

Jeff

Reply to
astutesolutions

Woodturners could use these pieces for making fancy spindles, such as used on staircases.

Reply to
georgeanddolores

Woodturners could use these pieces for making fancy spindles, such as used on staircases.

Reply to
georgeanddolores

Woodturners could use these pieces for making fancy spindles, such as used on staircases.

Reply to
georgeanddolores

Painted balusters

Reply to
Duke of Burl

True. I don't have a lathe tho, nor the need.

A friend pointed out that they could be used for furniture projects for stops or bracket holders (where not seen).

There was also a mudroom bench project I saw that had the lower shelf as slats to allow dirty shoes to drip down through or air out.

Potters bench perhaps?

Jeff

Reply to
astutesolutions

Manufacturing pointy sticks?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Popler is a soft hardwood. Not that soft though. Have you ever seen those glued up pine panels at the orange store? Glue up enough and make yourself a 3' square top for a workbench of some type. or, you can stagger them and make up any size you might need. I'm thinking of a roll around tool chest I have. A wood top would be nice.

How about glue lam studs? he he

Model building?

dunno

Reply to
No

\

you could glue these up to make a longer wider board. Something like it sells at the local building supply shop for fairly big bucks.

Reply to
marks542004

Let's see.... 3' long, 1" square + glue and clamps.

Stagger them, glue them up and go for any length you need ....

======== ========== ========= ============== ============= ========== ========= ========= ===== ============= ========= ============== Poplar is a hardwood (one of the softest though), is used as a secondary wood in making a lot of furniture (web frames, drawer sides, etc.).

Your buddy's idea is a good one but how about making drying racks from these? Stained or painted, these would make great slats for shelving racks, clothes drying. Does you wife wash and air dry her woolen sweaters or other items that can't be tossed into a dryer - sure she does. How about a blanket rack for the bedroom. Lot's of things come to mind.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Tue, Nov 8, 2005, 11:26am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net has to ask: Can anyone think of any other use other than kindling?

Are you kidding? It's free. I can think of probably a dozen things to use it for, without even thinking. Take all you can get, then worry about figuring what to use it for later. It's free. Hell, first thing you can use some for is a pickup load as a sacrifice to the Woodworking Gods. Let me know when we can expect it. If nothing else, cut up a bunch toy block size, and dump a big load at every child care in town.

JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it.

- Red Green

Reply to
J T

I needed some pointy sticks a bit ago.....................Brian

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

On 8 Nov 2005 11:26:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net quickly quoth:

1) Turn 'em down and make really cheap 'n dodgy pens. 2) Sell them with instructions on Ebay as Pointy Stick Kits. 3) Point 'em and use them in the garden. 4) Combine 'em into traps and collect stray pets for the pound. 5) Glue 'em up into toy trucks/trains/cars for kids. 6) Turn 'em down and make your own arrow shafts. 7) Lose money turning them into dowels. 8) Lose more money turning them into chop sticks. 9) Lose your shirt turning them into toothpics! 10) Sell 'em to warring countries to use as punji sticks. ©2005 Larry Jaques I require royalties for any profit-making enterprise based upon one or more of these vividly insightful tips.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I see that you're still able to outrun the guy's in the white coats - eh Larry......;-0

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Trivets, drawer glides, trellisses for climbing plants, jigs in the shop, shelf supports, whacking sticks, play blocks for kids...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Build a 100 bottle wine rack as illustrated attatched. This was built from scraps. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Sorry, posted to alt. bin. pictures.woodworking. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Chop em up for model train parts, ala Brio and Tommy Tank. Poplar and Birch are the two most common woods used for them.

Where is this plant? I could use a double armful.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell