harvesting burls from living trees

There are several trees in my neighborhood with burls which look like they'd be easy to cut off without harming the tree.
In particular, there's a 4 foot diameter maple tree with a burl a little bigger than my head which almost looks like someone stuck a bowling ball onto the tree - it actually necks down a bit before reaching the trunk.
I'm trying to figure out what I'd say to the homeowner (tree is on their easement between sidewalk and street) I understand it's healthier to have "tree cancers" removed. Anyone try this?
There is an oak, I think, not far from me that has a burl that totally wraps the tree trunk about 4ft up the trunk and may be 4 or more feet in length. Looks like a knee joiny on one of those lab skeletons. I wonder what they plan on doing with it. . .tho I am not sure I would know either. <s>
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yitah wrote:

Not to a neighbor. For that matter, to no one. Maybe check with an arborist? At least in deference to your neighbors. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Many cities have people in their public works department who specialize in and are responsible for such things. Though it may seem so, they don't run around willy nilly cutting trees. You may be able to get some professional advice there if you city employs such a person. .
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
: I'm trying to figure out what I'd say to the homeowner (tree is on : their easement between sidewalk and street) I understand it's : healthier to have "tree cancers" removed. Anyone try this?
It's a really good way to kill the tree.
    -- Andy Barss
Certainly don't want to kill the tree, so I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a fallen tree with a burl. Plenty of woods around, so I'll find one sooner or later.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:34:23 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss