Hardwoods - Tampa Bay Area

Can anyone in the Tampa Bay area give me any good sources for hardwoods. I live just North of Tampa but can travel anywhere in the Tampa area if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jacobs

There's supposed to be a pretty good one in Lakeland, which is only about 45 minutes east of you (depending on I-4). I can't remember the name, but try

or do a phone search.

Also, cocobolo inc

is in Pinellas Park.

Reply to
LRod

Jim - If you can make it over this way (Orlando), I can suggest a couple places - but I know it's a PITA drive.

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Jim,

I'm in Tampa, too. There were a couple really good places - super prices. But...much to my dismay, both have recently closed down.

About the best left is Rome Lumber. They have a pretty good selection of rough lumber. Weiss Hardwoods is in Largo. Lots of nice stuff, although they aren't the cheapest. I would love to be able to start a lumber company for wood workers in the area.....maybe one of these days.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Heck

There's also a guy who was advertising in the paper for the longest while. He has a sawmill up in Brooksville. It was about a 30 minutes drive up the Suncoast Pkwy from the Citrus Park mall. He really had only florida woods (cyprus, pine, fl. cherry, maple, etc) but everything was under a buck a foot. Check out the "Building Supplies" section of the trib every so often. Maybe he'll start to advertise again.

Reply to
Aaron Heck

Jim J -- Woodcraft in Clearwater has a small collection of hardwoods for woodworkers.

Jim B -- What are your suggestions in Orlando? We're near Sebring and regularly go to Orlando or Tampa for shopping and a night out -- both are about 110 miles away. How's THAT for a PITA! -- Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

Hey, Jim!

Doing any work on the '54?

I sold my DJ15, plus the table saw, and the drill press. Still have the RAS, the lathe, and the jig saw, but at least I have some ROOM!

What places do you have over there? I've seen Amazon in Casselberry on Woodfinders. Is that one of them? I've never been there.

Reply to
LRod

There is "Hardwood Lumber and Millwork" in Lakeland. I haven't been there is several months (since I moved north), but they used to have a good selection of excellent quality woods. They were not cheap however.

Good Luck,

Mike

Reply to
MikeG