Hardwood Supply

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic hardwood?

Unless you're planning on having it air shipped to you from halfway around the world, I suggest you indicate where approximately you live.
wrote in message

Sorry, I'm in Texas...
wrote in message

okay, big state.
where in texas?

<sarcasm mode on>
If it's Texas, just wait for the next big flood. And pick your lumber out of the debris piles.
<sarcasm mode off>
wrote in message

Yeah, unfortunately there are no exotic hardwoods floating around in those floods.

If you were in or close to Houston I could name three places on the northwest side alone.
Dave in Houston

How about in El Paso?
Max

Go ahead and name them. ;~) woodcraft, Austin Hardwoods maybe, and.....

Mason Mill & Lumber on Tanner (east of Beltway 8 and Gessner)
Hardwoods of Houston (on W34 a couple of blocks north of Hwy. 290)
Hardwood Products (on Westside of Beltway 8 just north of Bison)
There's always the big place on 5th or 5-1/2 off Studewood
Dave in Houston

Some of them offer 1/8" 1/4" and 3/8" stock?
Anyway thanks, all these years and I have never been to Mason.
Hardwood products does not have anything less than 4/4 unless that has happened in the last few months, same goes for Clarks in the Heights, that big place. ;~)

Not to my knowledge. I thought that's why joiners and thickness planers were invented.

I've just about quit Mason's and started taking my bidness to Hardwoods of Houston on W 34th. I tend to use baltic birch for drawer material and they do have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 plus I believe they have 1/2 in 4X8 sheets but I may misremember that.

Dave in Houston

Yeah but the OP was looking for a source for those thicknesses.

What kind of hardwood selection and or depth of inventory does Mason's have?
Occasionally Hardwood Products stocks 4x8 1/2" Baltic Like Birch, I suspect it is actually Appleply. From what I understand "ture" Baltic Birch only comes in 5x5 sheets.

Missed that.

Considerable, from rough blanks 8/4 and such to S4S 1X and 2X. They also have an in-house molding operation and a catalog of knives plus stock some standard profiles (crown, chair, cove and such) in a handful of species. But then, I believe Hardwoods of Houston does that, too.
Dave in Houston

Thanks for the input.

HofH used to stock profiles. Haven't been there in a couple of years. Leon, here's Mason's URL. They also have a place in Austin apparently.
http://www.masonsmillandlumber.com/default.asp
Regards, Roy

Thanks Roy,
Marty wrote:

I think the usual course of action would be to buy it rough and resaw it.
Chris
Hum - know anyone down at the ship channel ? Some cargo ships use exotic (foreign) wood to block and brace with. Some big stuff we used to get years ago overseas.
Just an idea.
Martin
Chris Friesen wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Some decades ago a pal of mine who is a fanatical woodworker went to Africa to teach for two years, Tanzania. When he was about to return he bought a whole bunch of real interesting wood, and had it carefully made into extra-heavy-duty shipping crates in which to return his household goods, and by carefully I mean he plotted out every screw and nail hole. Of course when he got back he dismantled the crates and stacked the wood on racks, he's still building stuff out of it all these years later. I hate to think what some of those slabs are worth today.