Hardwood sources...Los Angeles area

LA is a pretty large place, but I'd like to find out what the recommended hardwood sources are here. Especially those with good prices.

John

Reply to
jbclem

1)What part of L/A? 2)What kind of wood? 3)How many board feet do you plan to buy?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not really large amounts...one thing I'd like to make a kitchen countertop, butcherblock style, about 2 ft wide, 8-10 feet long. I'm told maple would be best, but I'm still learning about this so I'm open to any kind of wood, though I like the look of maple. I can go anywhere in LA, although Orange County would be a bit far, but East LA, the Valley, South LA are within range.

John

Reply to
jbclem

Santa Monica House of Hardwoods was my mainstay but here are my new favs based on selection and price Assuming Los Angeles

  1. Ganahl Lumber --Main lot in Anaheim has an excellent selection of domestic HWs, very few exotics. They stock mangaris cypress, hickory. The prices at Ganahl are [in my recent shopping trips] have been about 30% cheaper than the local Santa Monica House of Hardwoods. SMH of HW used to be my mainstay.

  1. Lane Stanton Vance City of Industry

Good selection of domestics not as deep as Ganahl but they have better selection of exotics. Prices on domestics comparable to Ganahl.

  1. Bonhoff in downtown LA. Carries rough stock, no experience with them but heard they have a good selection of both imports and exotics at rough stock prices.

I have word file with other places and maps if your interested

Joey

Reply to
joey

Actually that would be good if you could, I live up north from LA and make trips south to visit family, that list would be good if you could zip it and upload it to > alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking < would be great. We have one place up here, "Soboba woods", pretty good place.

Reply to
AAvK

Second that recommendation. I've only been to the Anaheim store, but FWIW they also have stores in Buena Park and Los Alamitos that might be closer depending on exactly where in LA OP's starting point is.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Joey, this is just what I was looking for. Yes, I'd like to see your word file if you could send it to me. Here's my email: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net. I'm in Topanga area so anything closer than Anahein would be better. Price is an issue for me, but I'll check SM House of Hardwoods just because they're close.

Thanks, John

Reply to
jbclem

Posted Microsoft Works file to ABPW Joey

recommended

Reply to
joey

Far West Plywood, in the northerly end of the valley, carries some milled hardwoods (in spite of their name), and I've gotten good deals there in the past. They are also very helpful in figuring out best kinds of sheet goods for a particular (NOT MDF, heh heh) project.

Woodfinder. com may help as well, you can narrow your search to a specific city.

Reply to
gpdewitt

Great, but can someone tell me what is ABPW?

Reply to
jbclem

The usenet group: alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Thanks, I found it...and now I know what the alt.binaries groups are.

John

Reply to
jbclem