Hardwood Flooring

Want to install a hardwood (tongue & groove - no glue) entryway in front of a French door leading to a south facing deck (in Maine). Since I'm going to get some snow on the entryway, will prefinished hardwood flooring hold up in that situation? If so, what brands would folks suggest? Also, the subfloors are 3/4" particle board over 3/4 plywood. My guess is that I can just PorterNail thru the particle board into the plywood and/or floor joists. Any suggestions/ideas will be appreciated...Orland

Reply to
orland

I live in out in the boonies in Minnesota. I hate to say it but if you have a lot of weather coming in through that entry wood probably isn't the best choice. If esthetically possible for you, tile is much more durable. If you go with wood, use T&G as opposed to prefinished. You can't refinish most Pergo-type floors without sanding through the top layer of wood. Just one dirty, muddy winter can destroy the finish on your entry.

ds

Reply to
das

The pre-finished have a good coating on them. The potential problem is the water getting between the joints. They also suggest that door mats are your friend. Saves the floor but also hides it.

As for nailing, why not consult them manufacturer?

is one that I've used. You may also want to consider some other styles such as laminates at
they have some interesting patterns in 12 x

12 tiles. I have them in my foyer. Ed
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski