hardwood floor problem

So I'm about to put some hardwood floors (or laminate) in our laundry room, which is shaped like a rectangle with part of the floor being raised B in my sad ascii pic here
_________________ | | | | A | B | |___________| | |_______________|
So my question is if I lay it horizontally (left to right on the pic) I end up with a number of exposed short plank ends on the raised B bit, how would I finish that edge. If I lay it vertically (up down on the pic) I end up with a bunch of very short planks on the skinny bit of B which I don't think would looks good, but I wouldn't get any exposed end bits (that I don't know how to finish)
Thoughts ?
-- Damian

Prefinished and laminate manufacturers sell special moldings for almost every situation. Ask at the flooring dealer. Bringing digital pictures can be priceless. These trim pieces are often exponentially more expensive than the flooring itself, but you can't do a quality job without them.
I like finished-in-place solid wood flooring. In oddball situations, I simply mill my own from the flooring stock and/or hardwood moldings.
Barry
| So I'm about to put some hardwood floors (or laminate) in our laundry | room, which is shaped like a rectangle with part of the floor being | raised B in my sad ascii pic here | | _________________ | | | | | | A | B | | |___________| | | |_______________| | | | So my question is if I lay it horizontally (left to right on the pic) I | end up with a number of exposed short plank ends on the raised B bit, | how would I finish that edge. If I lay it vertically (up down on the | pic) I end up with a bunch of very short planks on the skinny bit of B | which I don't think would looks good, but I wouldn't get any exposed | end bits (that I don't know how to finish) | | Thoughts ? | | -- Damian |
What is the height of the 'raise'? What is the thickness of the 'laminate'?
I did my own floors with 3/4" hardwood laminate and cut my own risers. In one case I had to shave some off the back of one piece to get it to sit right.
If you mean that mm thick stuff, you might have to level the floor before installation.
-- PDQ
PDQ wrote:

The laminate would be the 8mm stuff (I haven't bought it yet) and the raise is about 7" so it's a full step. I did see the trim pieces, and in the Armstrong install guide it said for a flush stairnose I'd have to route the ends of the pieces with their special bit (would a normal t&g bit do the job though).
With regards my other question would you do this left right or up down ?
| > | So I'm about to put some hardwood floors (or laminate) in our laundry | > | room, which is shaped like a rectangle with part of the floor being | > | raised B in my sad ascii pic here | > | | > | _________________ | > | | | | | > | | A | B | | > | |___________| | | > | |_______________| | > | | > | | > | So my question is if I lay it horizontally (left to right on the pic) I | > | end up with a number of exposed short plank ends on the raised B bit, | > | how would I finish that edge. If I lay it vertically (up down on the | > | pic) I end up with a bunch of very short planks on the skinny bit of B | > | which I don't think would looks good, but I wouldn't get any exposed | > | end bits (that I don't know how to finish) | > | | > | Thoughts ? | > | | > | -- Damian | > | | > | > What is the height of the 'raise'? | > What is the thickness of the 'laminate'? | > | > I did my own floors with 3/4" hardwood laminate and cut my own risers. In one case I had to shave some off the back of one piece to get it to sit right. | > | > If you mean that mm thick stuff, you might have to level the floor before installation. | > | > | > -- | > PDQ | | The laminate would be the 8mm stuff (I haven't bought it yet) and the | raise is about 7" so it's a full step. I did see the trim pieces, and | in the Armstrong install guide it said for a flush stairnose I'd have | to route the ends of the pieces with their special bit (would a normal | t&g bit do the job though). | | With regards my other question would you do this left right or up down | ? | Where one will find a 'round over' bit with an 8 mm arc is one of the mysteries of life.
If you want a proper edge, you better get the Armstrong bit.
As to the direction, do the rise vertical and lap the upper step over the rise just enough to cover the rise. No overhang as is done with the thicker stuff.
-- PDQ