Hardwood/exotic supplier in Raleigh, NC?

Hi all,     I'm looking for an alternate supplier of hardwoods and exotics in or close to Raleigh, NC. For small projects I like Capitol City Lumber, but they are quite expensive. I've ordered from Wall lumber just north of Greensboro, but with gas at about a million dollars per gallon these days for 100 Bdft or so it's no longer worth the savings and 4 hours driving time. Any locals know of a better alternative? FWIW, next project requires about 100 bdft Walnut, 20 bdft Padauk. Thanks,
-Ringo
http://www.thecityofraleigh.com/lumber / I moved to Pittsboro and searched for same. Found this listing; I haven't tried many. Some are out of date. But, there are phone numbers. Good luck. If you find a gem, let me know
Steve

Have you tried Klingspor om Capital blvd. I've enclosed a link ,
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E87B77CF/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=map1.htm
Benji White

I looked them up and they look worth a visit. However, I am still frustrated by having to go so far to get hardwood at a decent price. Before we moved here, I lived in N. VA outside DC. There were at least 3 lumber suppliers within 10 miles, not counting borgs. Guess I got spoiled.
Steve

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E87B77CF/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=map1.htm
Ouch, $31 per bdft for Walnut and Paduak is absolute highway robbery. Must be for small crafts or something is my guess.
Steve Peterson wrote:

I moved away from the area about 5 years ago. There was a guy in the Triangle Woodworking Association that had a Woodmizer and a kiln that sold at very reasonable prices. I can't remember the guys name, but the club has a website. He came to every meeting when I was there, and I assume he still does. I'm pretty sure he had walnut back then.
ringo wrote:

Raleigh, NC. For small projects I like Capitol City Lumber, but they are quite expensive. I've ordered from Wall lumber just north of Greensboro, but with gas at about a million dollars per gallon these days for 100 Bdft or so it's no longer worth the savings and 4 hours driving time. Any locals know of a better alternative? FWIW, next project requires about 100 bdft Walnut, 20 bdft Padauk. Thanks,

Try the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville (www.hardwoodstore.com). I have bought from the store and I have ordered over the phone with good success. We live east of Raleigh, and I receive the wood the next day by UPS. I don't see padauk listed but it will be worth a call to them.
George

ringo wrote:

Raleigh, NC. For small projects I like Capitol City Lumber, but they are quite expensive. I've ordered from Wall lumber just north of Greensboro, but with gas at about a million dollars per gallon these days for 100 Bdft or so it's no longer worth the savings and 4 hours driving time. Any locals know of a better alternative? FWIW, next project requires about 100 bdft Walnut, 20 bdft Padauk. Thanks,

Try East Wake Hardwoods in Zebulon: http://eastwakehardwoods.com /. About 25 miles East of downtown Raleigh. Hell of a lot closer than Gibsonville, better selection than Klingspors, prices may or not be better than others but nice to deal with.
Also try Jackson International
6017 Nc Highway 55 Fuquay Varina, NC 27526-7919 Phone:     (919) 577-9994
They are in the Fuquay area, where 55 and 42 split (five corners area) in an old tobacco warehouse.
DIYGUY wrote:

Raleigh, NC. For small projects I like Capitol City Lumber, but they are quite expensive. I've ordered from Wall lumber just north of Greensboro, but with gas at about a million dollars per gallon these days for 100 Bdft or so it's no longer worth the savings and 4 hours driving time. Any locals know of a better alternative? FWIW, next project requires about 100 bdft Walnut, 20 bdft Padauk. Thanks,

I know they carried sheet goods and at very good prices for truly nice material, but do they also carry lumber stock these days??
I bought some walnut there some time ago and I think I saw other stock - best just to call Mr. Jackson.
DIYGUY wrote:

ringo wrote:

exotics but is pricey. hardwoodstore.com in Gibsonville NC, (toward Greensboro) is a great store but light on exotics. Both are closer than Wall but still a long walk. Fred
Thanks all,     I found Raleigh Hardwood Center on the east side of the city; they have the Walnut I'm looking for at a somewhat reasonable rate. Capital City Lumber has some great looking Paduak for $6.90 which is a pretty excellent deal for defect free 10" wide 12' long 6/4 stock; very surprising as they are usually pretty expensive.
East Wake Hardwoods looks worth a visit to windowshop soon in the near future... sounds like the guy buys some good wood.