Hardwood board end paint color significant?

DAGS and read the FAQ with no luck. Just purchased a fair amount of hardwood from an auction at a cabinet shop. It's all surfaced and edged, random widths and 8 to 10 feet for the most part. Oddly, and happily for me, no one else was interested in the wood and most people had by then left or were loading up the tools they purchased. Does the fact that the board ends are painted BLUE signify the quality of the wood or is this a random thing? Is there a color standard for this? Thanks

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

there is no global standard. there may or may not be a color code in use at the mill that made those boards, but if there is it stops meaning anything after they leave the yard. I'd guess that if a mill did use end sealer color for anything it would be about date- how long the tree had been felled.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

It identifies the mill or sawyer from which the wood originated .. .. ..

Mike > DAGS and read the FAQ with no luck. Just purchased a fair amount of

Reply to
Anonymous

Not that I'm aware of. I just bought maple that had blue ends. It's probably what they got a hold of cheap...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I think it means "Infested" ;~)