hardware for chisel and file handles

Page 1 of 2
Know a good supplier for chisel or file collars?
I've got some scraps of maple that I'd like to use to finally make handles for some files and chisels. I looked around and I must not be using the right search terms. I was looking for collars and chisel hardware, etc.
Maybe there's a better way that can be done from copper or brass pipe.
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 10:11:20 PM UTC-8, Electric Comet wrote:

Ferrules is the search term. One can hammer tubing to open one end up to make 'em, if you can find a suitable mandrel. Copper might work, but steel would be better. You can't finish the handle until you have a ferrule to do fit-testing.
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 12:32:13 AM UTC-6, whit3rd wrote: Copper might work, but

Yep, ferrule is the term. Brass bushings could be used, also. The different metals provide different "colors"/looks/polishing.... and in some cases, finishing with a clear coa t to preserve the polished look, as with preventing/delaying oxidation of c opper (turning green or blackish).
Sonny
On 1/16/2015 12:32 AM, whit3rd wrote:

I've used large hex nuts. Think plumbing nuts. Brass or Bronze. I've threaded them on.
Just a thought. Won't expand on heat and slip off. I have a steel lathe also. Making one is work but possible. Martin

10 sizes at Lee Valley ...
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p0021&cat=1,41504
John T.
--- ---

I believe both lee valley and woodcraft carry ferrules in various diameters and materials.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:04:00 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Woodcraft does not. I did find a couple of other places that had them, but none had the selection that Lee Valley does.

Hmm. Woodcraft used to carry them in the stores, I've purchased them in the past.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:32:10 -0800 (PST)

Ferrules! Right. Now I find a lot of info. I've got some copper so mmight as well try.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 05:57:40 -0800 (PST)

yes will probably do a clear coat just to keep it smooth at least
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:33:55 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

That's a nice store. a little pricey for my low low budget and cheapness.
On 1/16/2015 3:32 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Are you kidding, that's pretty in-expensive.
--
Jeff

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:31:46 -0800, Electric Comet

You can do it with string too. Attach end of string with CA glue, wind string snuggly around end of handle/tang. Glue doen the fininh end with CA glue. Then soak the string with thinned CA or epoxy.
Plenty strong enough. If you have 10 lb test string, each turn is good for 20 lbs - 10 turns is 200 lbs , 20 turns is 400 lbs.
Start with 14lb braided fishline and you are looking at about 300 and 600 lbs. (and the epoxy will increase that significantly)
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 4:20:07 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

An Ah, Ha! moment, here. Never thought of string windings. Probably looks pretty darn good, too.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

I don't know how many fly rods you've seen, but if you are good with the thread you can get quite artistic.
On 1/16/2015 5:43 PM, Sonny wrote:

Yep, it's very good. When I dropped my original miter gauge from my delta I used my drill press to make a new handle, and wrapped the bottom with dacron, soaked in in glue (don't remember if it was c/a or epoxy)... it's better than the original, nicer grip too.
--
Jeff

That's a good thought. Back when I played pool I wrapped my Diamond cue with 65 pound braided dacron fishing line. I later used it on a couple machete handles, and if I knew where to get some more of it I would use it on my parang. I bet Spectra braid would work nice on a chisel handle though. Just turn it with a slight lip to start the wrap, epoxy the end into a small hole, and start spinning. You could pull some nice 60-80 lb Spectra (preferabley a coarse brand and not a slick finish brand) as tight as you wanted as long as it didn't pop over past the previous wrap.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:19:55 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've got some kevlar fishing line but not sure if CA would ruin it.
This technique would be nice for handheld carving tools.
On 1/17/2015 10:51 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

C/A doesn't ruin Kevlar, UV does.
--
Jeff

On 1/16/2015 1:08 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I got mine at Lee Valley.
--
Jeff